These Chewy Pistachio Lace Cookies are the perfect swap for the classic oatmeal cookie. They’ve got the same chewy properties but have extra flavor and texture from the pistachios and are finished with a classic glaze.
Leading up to Thanksgiving, your girl was exhausted. I’m so glad I took last Saturday to chill out and rest. There was a whole day where all I did was hide under a fluffy blanket and read articles online. I drank iced tea and did absolutely nothing and it was amazing! Highly recommend.
I know the holiday season can be wild and crazy. It tends to be whirlwind, as we drive quickly toward the end of the year. I try and savor it as much as I can. One thing I obviously love doing is BAKING!
YASSS! This holiday season, I have so many delicious recipes that I want to share with you all.
I’m also super excited to share recipes that are wide-ranging: ones that are easy to throw together; a few that are more like “baking projects”; and a couple dishes that are things you can make during the weeknight for dinzzz.
Monday I posted a weeknight recipe. Today (and yesterday) is all about a quick-baking recipe. These cookies are super simple—no mixer or fancy equipment required. These cookies travel well and are so delicious.
ALSO I made a baking playlist because it is cooking/baking season and we need music!
This is not your traditional Christmas music playlist, no. Sorry (tho I did include a few Christmas songs in it because why not!). This playlist is filled with 90s and early 2000s music. Some of my favorites. They remind me of my wild youth, middle school dances and sneaking out in the middle of the night with my friends. I was a wild child but now I got to bed at 9pm so if you have a teenager, please know it gets better!
How to make Chewy Pistachio Lacy Cookies:
- Prep your baking sheets. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. These cookies tend to be a little sticky on the bottom right after they bake so the parchment helps a lot.
- Mix together the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl toss together the oat flakes, flour, baking soda and salt.
- Mix together the wet ingredients. Whisk the melted butter and sugar until nice and combined then add the vanilla and the egg.
- Combine everything. Add the flour in a couple batches and mix until you no longer see the flour.
- Add the pistachios. Stir in all the pistachios until they’re evenly mixed in.
- Scoop out the cookies, and place on a baking sheet. Give them enough room to spread out and become lacy.
- Bake! Bake until the edges are just slightly golden brown.
- Cool and Glaze. Let the cookies cool completely then mix together all the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the cookies.
Ingredients you’ll need for Chewy Pistachio Lace Cookies:
- Oats. Good old fashioned oats, not the quick cooking stuff. You could also try other flattened grains like rye flakes.
- Flour. Classic cookie staple.
- Baking soda. This is what helps with the cookie spreading out and becoming lacy.
- Sugars. The mix of white sugar and brown sugar helps to keep the cookies the proper shape and stay nice and chewy.
- Melted butter. Melted butter helps make these cookies come together super fast.
- An egg. This helps bind everything together.
- Pistachios. Really any sort of chopped nut would work for these but pistachios are my favorite.
Tips and Tricks:
- Change up the nuts. If you can’t get ahold of pistachios feel free to use pecans or walnuts.
- These stay fairly chewy for a few days. If you wanted to make them ahead just store them with parchment between layers.
Chewy Pistachio Oat Lace Cookies
- 1 cup rolled oat flakes not instant
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or regular salt
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Pinch of salt
To Make the Cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oat flakes, all-purpose flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars and melted butter until combined. Crack in the egg and pour in the vanilla. Whisk oe more time until the egg is thoroughly incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 2 batches, stirring in between additions until combined. Lastly, fold in the pistachios.
- Using a tablespoon OR a cookie scoop, scoop out balls of dough, spacing them about 2 1/2-inches from one another on a the baking sheets. These cookies read a lot, so be sure to leave enough room. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until they spread and the edges are lightly golden brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then carefully move the cookies onto a cooling rack.
To Make the Icing:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and salt. When the cookies are cool, drizzle the icing on top in a zigzag motion. Get artsty with it! These cookies are good for up to 4 days when kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know on Instagram!
Looking for more cookie recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
Leave a Reply