Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase.
These Red Velvet Lava Cakes are the perfect dessert for two! They’re gluten-free, made with almond flour, chocolate-y, so super delicious and can be made in one single bowl! Serve them with the Best Caesar Salad and Spaghetti and Meatballs for a romantic dinner for two.
This a romantic dessert. Truth be told, I wasn’t always a fan of Valentine’s Day. I thought it was cringe and boring. But, I’ve changed my tune and now I love nothing more than making a cute dinner. I love making a Strawberry Conversation Cake, Conversation Cupcakes, Baked Ziti for Two and these Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies Of course, I love these lava cakes too.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make these Red Velvet Lava Cakes
- Almond flour. These are surprisingly gluten-free. I really love the flavor these give the lava cakes.
- Cocoa powder. This gives the cakes a delicious chocolate-y flavor.
- Semi-sweet chocolate. This is going to give our cakes a lava-like texture.
- Red food coloring. If you skip this, it won’t be red velvet just regular chocolate lava cakes–still a win!
- Eggs. This gives our cakes a perfect rise.
For the rest of the ingredients, please see the recipe index card below!
How to Make Red Velvet Lava Cakes!
- Grease two 4-inch ramekins and set them aside.
- Melt the chocolate. I like to do this in a double-boiler. I obviously don’t own one. Instead I take a glass or stainless steel bowl and nestle it on top of a saucepan that has a few inches of water in it.
- Mix the ingredients. This includes the almond flour, powered sugar, salt, egg yolks, eggs, food coloring and melted chocolate.
- Divide the batter between the two ramekins.
- Bake them!
- Make the whipped cream. This whipped cream has sour cream in it to make it more stable. And it gives it a nice tartness that is not detectable at all.
- Plate it! Top it with salt. And add the whipped cream!
Food coloring. I like to use gel food coloring because it has a more concentrated color. The pigment is stronger. But if you don’t want to add it, simply leave it out. It obviously just won’t come out red.
Chocolate options. If you want it sweeter, use milk chocolate. If you want it a bit stronger and richer, go for bittersweet chocolate.
Unfortunately these need to go straight in the oven after the batter is made.
Sure! It’ll add a bi to extra chocolate flavor.
If you tried this Red Velvet Lava Cakes Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Red Velvet Lava Cakes
- 2 (4-inch) ramekins
Red Velvet Lava Cakes:
- 2 ounces high-quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 3 drops red food coloring gel
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
To Make the Lava Cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease two 4-inch ramekins with cooking spray and set them aside.
- Fill a small saucepan with a few inches of water. Nestle a heatproof bowl atop the saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high. To the bowl, add the chocolate and butter. When melted, mix until combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, pinch of salt, egg yolks, eggs and food coloring. Whisk until combined. Pour in the warm chocolate butter mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide amongst between the ramekins and place them on a baking sheet. Transfer them to the oven to bake for 15 minutes, rotating them at the 7 minute, to ensure even baking.
- Remove them from the oven and set aside.
To Make the Whipped Cream:
- Using a stand-up mixer with the whisk attachment or a bowl with an electric hand-mixer, add the sour cream and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour in the heavy cream and whip until medium peaks form, about 2 minutes.
To Serve the Lava Cakes:
- Run a sharp knife alongside the outside of the lava cakes and invert onto serving plates. Top with a scoop of the whipped cream and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.