These Red Velvet Lava Cakes are the perfect dessert for two! They’re gluten-free, made with almond flour, chocolate-y, so super delicious and can be made in one single bowl!
(This post is sponsored by ALDI. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep A Cozy Kitchen cozy.)
I’ve recently (re)discovered books on tape and this has lead to some incredible and entertaining walks with Amelia. Even though I should be paying 100% attention to the story being told to me through my headphones, my mind still wanders off and I naturally start thinking about…food, always. Last week, specifically: Valentine’s Day foods.
For this post, I teamed up with ALDI. The place that is always my- go-to for all of my baking and cooking needs. They’re always so affordable and the ingredients are high-quality. This particular recipe is gluten-free (YAY!), utilizing their new almond flour that is available starting February 13th.
Before we dive into the recipe, I’d like for you to know a surprising fact about me. I love creating foods for my all-time favorite commercial holiday: Valentine’s Day. Maybe I like it because I can use all the pink my heart desires? Or maybe because cheese can be used as a form of affection? Not sure, but either way, it’s become my favorite.
I love to create cakes and cupcakes and other dishes that take a while to make, but every year I also try to share something that can be made in a super short amount of time. Like last year, and the year before that, Valentine’s Day lands on a weekday. This means dessert has to be fast! This is it.
Best Thing About These Red Velvet Lava Cakes!
Here are the reasons I love this recipe:
- These lava cakes require only one bowl and about 15 minutes in the oven.
- They’re gluten-free.
- They use almond flour giving these lava cakes the best texture and flavor.
- They are simple yet not boring. My favorite combo in life. Give ‘em a try and let me know how it goes.
How to Make Red Velvet Lava Cakes!
- Grease two 4-inch ramekins and set them aside.
- Melt the chocolate. I like to do this in a double-boiler. I obviously don’t own one. Instead I take a glass or stainless steel bowl and nestle it on top of a saucepan that has a few inches of water in it.
- Mix the ingredients. This includes the almond flour, powered sugar, salt, egg yolks, eggs, food coloring and melted chocolate.
- Divide the batter between the two ramekins.
- Bake them!
- Make the whipped cream. This whipped cream has sour cream in it to make it more stable. And it gives it a nice tartness.
- Plate it! Top it with salt. And add the whipped cream!
Red Velvet Lava Cakes Recipe
Red Velvet Lava Cakes:
- 2 ounces high-quality semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large eggs
- 3 drops red food coloring gel
Tart Whipped Cream:
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
To Make the Lava Cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease two 4-inch ramekins with cooking spray and set them aside.
- Fill a small saucepan with a few inches of water. Nestle a heatproof bowl atop the saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high. To the bowl, add the chocolate and butter. When melted, mix until combined. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, pinch of salt, egg yolks, eggs and food coloring. Whisk until combined. Pour in the warm chocolate butter mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide amongst between the ramekins and place them on a baking sheet. Transfer them to the oven to bake for 15 minutes, rotating them at the 7 minute, to ensure even baking.
- Remove them from the oven and set aside.
To Make the Whipped Cream:
- Using a stand-up mixer with the whisk attachment or a bowl with an electric hand-mixer, add the sour cream and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Pour in the heavy cream and whip until medium peaks form, about 2 minutes.
To Serve the Lava Cakes:
- Run a sharp knife alongside the outside of the lava cakes and invert onto serving plates. Top with a scoop of the whipped cream and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt.
Looking for other Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes? Right this way!
- Heartbreak Cookies
- Red Velvet Heart Surprise Cupcakes
- Strawberry Conversation Cake
- Mini Chocolate Sheet Cake
- One Bowl Chocolate Cake (For Two)