Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase.
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is full of comforting flavors and vegetables. It’s milk based so it’s not too heavy but is still plenty rich. Flavored with cheddar cheese and topped with homemade baby biscuits makes it the perfect meal to beat a cold wintery day.
Hello from psycho, busy land.
I feel like the holidays are my G-O time. It is cozy season after all and it’s really the time when I feel like I have to post all the recipes that I’ve been collecting in my little summer-hating brain.
This recipe has been on my to-make list for A LONG TIME. How can I have a blog about cozy food and not have a single recipe for broccoli cheddar soup?!?!
This soup is inspired by Panera broccoli cheddar soup but not sponsored by them because they don’t know who I am. But let me tell you, your girl loves Panera.
This soup is surprisingly not very heavy. Yes it has cheese it but it mostly consists of broccoli and chicken broth.
I turned my very flakey biscuits into mini-biscuits because WHY NOT! Think of them like croutons or oyster crackers.
The kitchen is on its last leg. Like, subway tile is supposed to go in this weekend and I’m SOOOO PUMPED. I’m at that place where I am ready for it to be over and for me to use the gorgeous fridge that’s sitting in the dining room.
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup:
- Cook the veggies. Add all the veggies to a pot with olive oil and cook until softened.
- Make a Roux. Melt some butter and add flour. Cook for a minute or so.
- Add the milk and cheese. Slowly add the milk and cook until it thickens up. Add the cheddar and mix until melted.
- Add chicken stock and heat up. Just for about 12 minutes to get all the flavors to marry.
- Serve! In a big bowl, topped with baby biscuits.
Can you freeze broccoli cheddar soup?
You can, just cool and transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze, however I think this is a soup that’s best fresh, or eaten within a couple days. Frozen foods with milk tend to reheat a little differently.
Tips and Tricks:
- If you wanted to add more protein to the recipe you can add shredded or grilled chicken (store-bought rotisserie chicken would make it super easy).
- You can use any cheese! Cheddar makes this taste most like the classic but if you wanted to switch up the flavor you could use pepper jack or an extra shard white cheddar.
- Start with a roux (butter and flour) to ensure your soup has a luscious, thick base.
- Don’t let the soup boil once the dairy’s in – it could cause a curdle catastrophe.
- A pinch of nutmeg can elevate the flavors without overpowering the dish.
- If you’ve got leftovers, reheat gently – again, to prevent separation.
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping – because why wouldn’t you?
Low and slow is the mantra – add cheese gradually to the soup and melt it gently to avoid a grainy mishap.
Best to steer clear, friend. They often have anti-caking agents that can mess with the soup’s texture. Grate your own for the creamiest result.
For sure! You can go halfsies on the cheese and swap in some milk for cream, just brace for a less rich soup.
A bit of bacon or ham can add a smoky depth if you’re in a meaty mood. Just cook it separately and stir it in at the end.
Absolutely! Just use veggie stock instead of chicken, and you’re all set.
What to eat with broccoli cheddar soup?
- Baby biscuits! I’ve got the instructions below but they’re the perfect addition to a creamy soup. Think ultra oyster crackers.
- You can also cook rice and serve alongside for people to mix in if they want.
- Lastly you can also go full copycat panera broccoli cheddar soup and serve this with a nice fresh baguette.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 ribs celery, diced
- 1/2 head of broccoli, florets removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese + a bit more for the topping
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Black pepper
- Mini Biscuits, for topping
- To a medium pot, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When warm, add the onion, carrot, celery and broccoli. Add a few pinches of salt and cook for about 5 minutes, until very soft.
- Using a spatula, scoot the veggies to the side of the pot and then add the butter; cook until it’s melted, about 1 minute. Add the flour and mix until the flour is all coated in the fat. Cook for a minute.
- Next, pour in the milk and mix the whole thing together. Bring the milk mixture to a gentle simmer until the roux has thickened. Next add the cheddar cheese and mix until melted. Lastly, pour in the chicken broth. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer and cover the pot to cook for about 10 to 12 minutes. This will just marry all the flavors together.
- Just before serving, give it a taste and adjust the salt. It’ll definitely need some; I added about 1 1/2 teaspoon. I also added a ton of black pepper. Divide amongst bowls and serve them with mini biscuits or regular size ones!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know on Instagram!
Looking for more soup recipes? Here are some of my favorites: