I am currently flirting with the idea of doing a Paleo diet for 30 days. And when I say flirting with the idea, I mean, I’m entertaining it…for like 10 minute increments and then I try and imagine if I could go 30 days with no wine and pizza. Truth is: I’m great at eating healthy for about 2 days and then something happens…
1. I bake a cake and want a slice…or two?
2. Friends come over and a bottle of wine opens up…
3. I meet a friend for dinner and how can we say no to fried calamari on the menu and maybe we should order the mozzarella sticks, too?!
Balance is oh so hard. That’s why I love Gaby’s new book, What’s Gaby Cooking. It’s all about California living! And the food is filled with beautiful salads and healthy things like salmon on skewers with basil vinaigrettes…and then there’s the fun stuff: burgers and tacos and lots of pizzas. It’s about living that good California life that I adore so much.
This pizza is probably not what you think of when you think of California but it’s SO good and if you love spicy, then this pizza will satisfy your soul. It’s spicy. If you want to make it less so, leave off the red pepper flakes and cut the jalapeños in half. But my spicy-loving-self thought it was perfect.
The jalapeños bake on top of the pepperoni and sort of infuse the oils and it’s SO good. I loved it.
I used this trusty, very quick homemade dough recipe. It’s always my go-to because it’s so easy and tastes great. Of course, you can use a store-bought dough, too.
OR you could get all fancy and use a fancy home dough recipe. I like this one because it gets super crispy on the bottom, especially if you use a baking steel, which I was too lazy to lug out. But the minute I ate the pizza, I regretted not making the extra effort.
This pizza pairs perfectly with a crisp, cold glass of wine or beer. It complements the spicy vibes of this pizza.
Spicy Jalapeño Pepperoni PizzaPrint
- All-purpose flour
- 1 pound pizza dough, store-bought or homemade
- 10 deli slices mozzarella cheese or 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 15 to 20 slices of pepperoni
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 jalapeño chile, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Lightly flour a rimless baking sheet or pizza peel.
- On a clean, floured surface, shape the dough into 2 medium-ish rounds. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes, then re-form it to make sure it’s as big as you’d like it to be. Place the dough on the prepared baking sheet or pizza peel.
- Distribute the mozzarella on top of the crusts. Spread the pizza sauce over the cheese and scatter with the pepperoni, red pepper flakes, and slice jalapeños.
- Transfer the pizzas to the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and season with salt, pepper, and extra red pepper flakes if you like. Serve immediately.