These Chocolate Cardamom Morning Rolls are it!
The autumn shift is happening all around us! Pumpkins and gourds are starting to show up at the markets, watermelon is now very bland and lacks any sort of sweetness, melons are slowly fading, and while LA has temperatures that are still kicking, there have been a few mornings that have felt brisk. Autumn is so close!
I wanted to kick this season off with these Chocolate Cardamom Morning Rolls with Artisan Collection by Nestlé® Toll House®. Their two luxurious options are: Extra Semi-Sweet and Extra Dark. Both are really delicious. I’ve used them in a few baked goods and the chocolate is rich and has amazing deep flavor. These baking chips are made from single-origin chocolate from Ghana and are available now! Ghana is fortunate in having wonderful rich soil, making it ideal for its top exporter: cocoa beans. The chocolate is really high-quality and pairs with all sorts of flavors like caramel, walnuts, cinnamon, honey and more!
I wanted to pair the Extra Semi-Sweet chocolate baking chips with something complementary. I found that ground cardamom was amazing with it. These rolls might look like cinnamon rolls but I can assure you they’re even better! I melted Extra Dark baking chips over a double-boiler until it was silky smooth. I then added it to the filling of butter, sugars, vanilla, salt and ground cardamom. It was SO good.
Its added in a very thin layer to the dough and then rolled up and sliced. The icing is a fluffy cream cheese icing with also a bit of cardamom.
A small amount of cardamom goes a LONG way so you have to add a teeny bit at a time. I found that adding 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom to the filling and 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom to the cream cheese glaze was the ideal amount. It’s about balance. 😃
The chocolate in between the soft dough is amazing. It’s super rich, nutty, flavorful and balanced. Let me know if you make these chocolate cardamom morning rolls.
Happy cozy season!
Chocolate Cardamom Morning Rolls
- 1/4 cup lukewarm milk
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs beaten in a bowl
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
Chocolate Cardamom Filling:
- 3 ounces Artisan Collection by Nestlé® Toll House® Extra Semi-Sweet Baking Chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
Cardamom Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt for topping
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
To Make the Dough:
- To the bowl with of a stand-up mixer (alternatively, you can do this in a large
bowl by hand), add the lukewarm milk. Mix in the active dry yeast and allow to
stand and activate, about 8 minutes, until foamy and alive!
- To a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. To the bowl
with the yeast/milk mixture, add in the beaten eggs and vanilla extract; then
all at once, add the flour mixture. Attach the dough hook to your mixer and mix
on low until the dough starts to become cohesive. With the mixer running on
low, slowly add the cubes of butter.
- Knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, if you’re doing this by
hand, you’ll need to knead the dough for about 10 to 15 minutes. The dough will
go from crumbly and separate to completely cohesive and
smooth. The dough shouldn’t be sticky but will be wet.
- Remove the dough from the hook and the bowl and form it into a ball.
- Transfer the ball of dough to a clean, lightly greased bowl (I used the flour bowl and just wiped it clean with a kitchen towel and then greased it). Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and transfer to the fridge to rise for at least 1 to 2 hours or overnight in the fridge.
To Make the Filling:
- You can melt the Artisan Collection by Nestlé® Toll House® baking chips in the microwave (I usually add it to a glass bowl and microwave it in intervals of 30 seconds twice). Or you can add the chocolate to a glass bowl and nestle it over a saucepan filled with a few inches of simmering water. When melted, stir until smooth.
- To the bowl of a stand-up mixer (with the paddle attachment) or using a medium bowl and a fork, add the butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla, cardamom and salt. Mix and mash until the filling is completely smooth. Pour in the melted chocolate and mix until smooth.
To Assemble the Chocolate Cardamom Rolls:
- Lightly flour your work surface and place the dough into the center. Lightly flour your rolling pin and roll the dough into a 1/8-inch thick rectangle that measures 15“ x 22“ If it’s not a perfect rectangle, then that’s totally ok.
- Add the filling to the center of the rectangle and spread into a very thin layer. It may not seem like enough but be sure to use a silicon spatula to scrape all of the little bits of filling.
- Roll the dough starting closest to you and going up. Cut the dough into two and transfer to a cutting board. Place it in the freezer to chill for 10 to 15 minutes. I find that slicing cold dough is WAY easier.
- Remove from the freezer and slice the rolls into 1 1/2-inch rolls, about
12, trimming the ends off. Transfer to a greased 9 x 13 baking sheet or comparable baking dish. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise for another hour, or until doubled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
To Make the Cardamom Cream Cheese Icing:
- To the bowl of a stand-up mixer (or a large bowl) with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar, cardamom, vanilla paste, salt and heavy cream. Beat for about 1 minute, until light and fluffy.
- To Serve:
- When the rolls come out of the oven, pour the icing over the rolls and smother them with icing.
(This post is sponsored by Artisan Collection by Nestlé Toll House. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep A Cozy Kitchen cozy.)