’Tis the season! I feel like the day after Thanksgiving my neighborhood goes into Holiday high gear. Literally every single house in my neighborhood is already decked out with holiday decorations, trees, Santas on the roof. I’m over here trying to recover from Thanksgiving lol.
Today is as good as any day to get the party started! I’m starting easy, grooving into the holiday season with breakfast. For this post, I teamed up with JUST and their new product JUST Egg. I used it over the summer, remember? It’s a product that truly blows my mind because it’s made from mung beans and yet it tastes just like eggs (texture and flavor). It’s wild!
You can add it to a skillet and it’ll scramble exactly like chicken eggs. It’s plant-based, packed with protein and completely free of dairy, cholesterol, artificial flavoring.
In this instance, we’re using it to make French toast. And it couldn’t be more simple. You simply squeeze out the JUST Egg into a dish and whisk it with the French toast usuals: vanilla, cinnamon and a little bit of sugar.
To make it a lil’ bit more interesting, I made a cranberry maple syrup that is SO good. It gives some real holiday-type vibes while adding a nice tart and sweet element to the French toast.
Plant-Based French Toast Recipe
Cranberry Maple Syrup:
- 10- ounce bag of cranberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Zest and juice from 1 orange, about 3 tablespoons
- 1 loaf of bread, I used a French loaf, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup JUST Egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil or butter
- Powdered sugar, for topping
To Make the Cranberry Maple Syrup:
- To a medium saute pan, add the cranberries, sugar, maple syrup, water, vanilla, salt and orange juice and zest. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and allow to cook until softened and bubbling, about 10 minutes. I like to give it a stir every few minutes to make sure nothing is burning at the very bottom. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the French Toast:
- To a casserole dish or a bowl, whisk together the JUST Egg, almond milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the oil or butter. When warm, dip the slices of bread into the JUST egg mixture, letting any excess of the mixture drip off back into the dish. Transfer to the pan and cook until golden brown on each side, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
- Dust with a bit of powdered sugar and serve with a few spoonfuls of the cranberry maple syrup on top.
(This post is sponsored by JUST. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep A Cozy Kitchen cozy.)