Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase.
If you’ve ever watched the movie Spanglish, you’ll remember this sandwich. It’s a famous sandwich Adam Sandler’s character makes after returning from work one late night. It has crispy pieces of bacon, lettuce, tomato, a runny egg and melty cheese. Absolutely delicious!
I watched Spanglish probably twenty times my senior year in high school. I have no idea why but I loved this movie. My favorite part was the relationship between Adam Sandler and Paz Vega. My second favorite part of the movie was the sandwich.
Turns out Thomas Keller (famous chef of French Laundry and Surfside Club) create this sandwich for Adam Sandler’s character to make. It’s a chef sandwich, you could say.
Ingredients You’ll Need to Make the Spanglish Sandwich
- Sourdough bread – I like the pre-sliced kind.
- Egg – A fried, runny egg is a must!
- Cheese – I used Monterey Jack here but use whatever kind you like.
- Lettuce – I prefer butter lettuce for this sandwich.
- Tomato – We love a good heirloom tomato or steak tomato for this sandwich.
- Bacon – Crispy bacon is best.
For the rest of the ingredients, please refer to the recipe index card below.
How to Make the Spanglish Sandwich
- Bake the bacon until crispy. I like to bake bacon in the oven for a fuss-free hands off experience.
- Toast your bread lightly. I like to do this in the toaster. I like it only lightly toasted.
- Add cheese to one half of bread. Transfer to the oven to bake until the cheese is melty, about 5 minutes.
- Fry up the egg! I like a runny egg so I do sunnyside up.
- Add mayonnaise to the second piece of bread.
- Add the lettuce, tomato, egg and pieces of bacon. Top with the second half of bread and slice in half.
Yes, absolutely. You can use veggie bacon or turkey bacon if you want.
A cold beer. I think it goes well with a cup of coffee, a beer or a glass of wine.
If you tried this Spanglish Sandwich Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 slices country white bread, (or of your choice)
- 2 slices Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 tsp mayonnaise
- 2 pieces butter lettuce
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Bacon:
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Place the bacon slices side by side and cook until crispy, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bed of paper towels.
To Assemble the Sandwich
- Lightly toast your bread in a toaster. Place your cheese on one slice of bread and place it under the broiler until melted (I did it in a conventional oven). Take the other slice of bread and spread the 1/2 tsp of mayonnaise (you can obviously add more if you like).
- If you have a non-stick pan, melt butter over medium heat and fry your egg.If you’re using a skillet like I have pictured above, drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan. When it’s hot, crack your egg and fry until done.
- Add the lettuce on top of the slice of bread with the mayonnaise. Then add the slices of tomato, egg and piece of bacon. Slice the sandwich and serve.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
*This post was originally published on August 20th, 2010.