Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins

Scones & Muffins, Sides, Thanksgiving

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

Hi. I’m baaaaack.

I actually never left, but sometimes the one day breaks between posts make me miss you a lot. I can say this because we’ve moved past the whole newness in our relationship. I don’t care if I love you more at this point. It just is what is…you know?!

Wait, do you think it’s weird I’m talking about our relationship in public like this? Whatever. DEAL!

I feel like you know me pretty well at this point. You understand who I am as a person. You know I have an affinity for glitter nail polish. You know I cry sometimes and make pancakes. You know I think fantasy football is stupid. You ALSO know that I loooove to try and make stuff cute.

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

I made churros (that sometimes can look like…I don’t have to say it. You know)…into Churro Tots! And complicated pretzels into Pretzel Tots. And sloppy, meat sandwiches into Sloppy Joe Sliders! I’m starting to think my life calling is to take normal dishes that are totally minding their own business and give them a “cute” makeover.

Almost like that scene in Clueless when D and Cher take Ty from rough and stoner-like to cute and dumb. Just like that…but with sandwiches and fried things…and now, stuffing.

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

Despite its revamped, cute form, this stuffing is a winner all on its own.

If you decided against the whole muffin tin thing, then I urge you to simply make this as directed below and put it in a casserole dish and bake. DELICIOUS!

It’s studded with onions, leeks, celery, fragrant sage…and pancetta.

I currently have a huge crush on pancetta…and I’m starting to think it has everything to do with how it looks like swirl bread on the inside. It makes me want to eat it raw. #notreally #butsorta

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

This stuffing is pretty straight forward. You start by toasting the cubes of bread.

Cook the pancetta. To its grease, you add the vegetables. Cook them until they’re cooked.

Add the pancetta back. Pour in some chicken stock. Salt to taste. Stir some eggs in. And then pack the muffin tins with the stuffing.

Bake and then done.

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

A few pro tips along the way?!

Make sure the stuffing is pretty moist. This will help with it keeping its shape as it cooks in the muffin tin. I didn’t do this with two of them and they fell apart. Just pack the stuffing in those tins tightly. That’s all.

And…the salt. It’s tricky! Salt to taste…for sure! If you use pancetta…AND a salty chicken broth, the 1/2 teaspoon below will be WAY too much. So yeah, salt to taste.

That is all.

P.S. Do you see my chipped nail polish below?! I’m allowing you to judge me. It’s been a looooong week..(and it’s Wednesday). πŸ™‚

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

Pancetta Sage Stuffing Muffins

6 1/2 cups of white bread, cubed (about 1 loaf)
1/2 pound pancetta, diced
1 cup yellow onion, diced (about 1 medium yellow onion)
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 leak, cleaned and thinly sliced
5 large fresh sage leaves, chopped
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/2 tablespoon salt* (See note below about salt)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

1. Thoroughly butter the muffin tin and set aside.

2. In a single layer, place the bread cubes on two sheet pans and bake for 10 minutes, or until barely toasted. Remove and set aside.

3. In a large saute pan, cook the pancetta over medium-high heat, being sure to stir regularly, for about 7 minutes, or until slightly browned and crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain. The pancetta should release a few tablespoons of grease. This is good! We’ll use this to cook the vegetables. If for some reason your pancetta is super lean, you might want to add a teaspoon of unsalted butter. Bring heat down to medium, and add the diced onion, sliced celery, sliced leek, salt and pepper, and cook until all is softened and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the sage and thyme and cook just until fragrant.

*Note about salt: If your pancetta is super salty and you’re not using low-sodium broth, I’d recommend halving the salt and doing a “salt to taste” BEFORE you put in the egg (which is the last step). These two variables will affect the salt measurement tremendously. πŸ™‚

4. Turn off the heat and add pancetta, toasted bread crumbs and chicken broth to the vegetable mixture and toss. Do a taste test. Does it need a bit more salt? If you’re all good then add the slightly beaten eggs and mix once more.

5. Using a tablespoon, transfer mounds of the stuffing mixture to each muffin tin. Be sure to tightly pack the stuffing in each of the muffin cups. This will make sure the mixture adheres to itself and the muffins don’t fall apart.

6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is browned. To remove, take a butter knife and go around each of the stuffing muffins’ outer edge. Using your knife, gently lift it up out of the muffin tins. Serve warm.

Yields 12 Stuffing “Muffins”

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins

• Reply Sahar October 27, 2014 at 10:46 am

Did u use just plain white sandwich bread?

• Reply Adrianna Adarme October 29, 2014 at 11:39 pm

I used white bread. I believe it was a sliced French loaf (not a baguette) from Trader Joe’s.

• Reply Alia December 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

And they reheated easy. I sat them in the kitchen to defrost then 10minutes in the oven. The cupcake papers made sure they stayed together. Perfect!

• Reply Alia December 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

Well so far so good, they are really yummy! I did add a little lemon zest as well. Now I’ve put them in little cupcake paper cups, ready to freeze. I’m going to defrost one tomorrow to see how it goes and try not to eat the rest before Christmas Day. Thanks for the idea. Xx

• Reply Alia December 18, 2013 at 5:07 am

Hi
    Does anyone know how these freeze and defrost. I want to make them in advance for Christmas.
    They look so yummy, more interesting than the recipe in my Donna Hay magazine which I was going to do.
    Thanks
    Alia

• Reply Adrianna Adarme December 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

I’ve personally never tried it but I’ve heard that a few people have been successful with that. If you are to try it, I’d recommend transferring the frozen muffins back to a muffin tin and reheating them in the oven. I’m afraid of them falling apart during the defrosting part.

• Reply Stacy November 27, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Can I put these together today and bake them off tomorrow??

• Reply Adrianna Adarme November 27, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I would prep everything today: cut up the vegetables, dry out the bread, etc and then assemble everything tomorrow and bake em off. (You want the egg and moisture from the chicken stock to be fresh so they’ll adhere and stay in muffin shapes.)

If you like you can bake them off today and then reheat tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving.

• Reply Kanan November 27, 2013 at 11:34 am

Hi Adrianna,

What a yummy recipe! I know this is cutting it a little close (ha) but would you recommend making these a day before Thanksgiving i.e. today and then reheating them tomorrow (popping them in the oven for 15mins)? Some stuffing muffin recipes say it works great but I wouldn’t want the muffins to get soggy or anything.

Thanks!
    Kanan

• Reply Adrianna Adarme November 27, 2013 at 12:20 pm

You can definitely make these ahead of time, sticking them in the fridge and then reheat in the oven. Make sure to reheat on a low temp (like 200 F) so they don’t dry out or get too brown

• Reply Leslie November 23, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I saw this recipe linked in a Buzzfeed post! THIS IS THE MOST DELICIOUS STUFFING EVER!!!! Made it once and I can’t wait to make it again. Thanks for a great recipe!

• Reply Jamie November 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I don’t see a pinterest share button! πŸ™

• Reply Adrianna Adarme November 20, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Right below the last pictures you should see a Pin It Button. Sorry about that. I’m working on having it appear over the pictures. Thanks for wanting to share on Pinterest–I appreciate you!

• Reply Mythreesons November 18, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I am wondering if these can be made ahead and frozen. Has anyone tried this? We are trying to make some things ahead of time before Thanksgiving.

• Reply Hot Dish Homemaker October 5, 2013 at 6:42 am

Stuffin Muffins are a great idea if you are serving a crowd! Plus they can be served at room temperature or even served with gravy! I have recipes for a crowd on my website also http://www.hotdishhomemaker.com Thanks for sharing your recipe! I am definitely going to give it a try this week!

• Reply Michelle September 23, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Super cute idea. Definitely going to make the this year. One thing tho….I think leek is spelled wrong in the ingredient list πŸ™‚

• Reply Diablo 3 Inferno June 19, 2013 at 1:25 am

I just think then it is a shame that these kinds of good game(aside from the ending) as to be able to hatred like this.

• Reply Matthew November 27, 2012 at 6:34 am

I sent this recipe to my mother for Turkey Day and she was skeptical at first. All she was familiar with was the traditional Stove Top stuffing. I told her that if she didn’t like it I would go out and buy a box and make a second batch of stuffing…. I never had to make that second batch. The family loved it and these stuffins will now be a part in our Turkey Days!

• Reply Adrianna November 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm

LOVE!

• Reply T-Bird November 25, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I made these for Thanksgiving. They were easy and everyone liked them a lot. I used Trader Joe’s buttermilk sandwich bread. I added one cubed apple,too. It seemed to me that the 6 1/2 cups of bread was not quite enough to properly fill the 12 muffin cups. Next time I might use the entire loaf (probably an extra cup and a half) and add an extra egg and a bit more of the other ingredients.

• Reply SmileySam November 22, 2012 at 8:20 am

As a South African living in Korea, thanksgiving and stuffing were both new to me this year – a friend had a potluck dinner and although I was signed up to provide roast veg (and duly provided) I couldn’t resist trying my hand at these little guys. So much awesomeness!

Because the only stuffing I’d ever tried before was sausage stuffing, I felt that the bread stuffing lacked a certain meatiness so I cooked up a batch of pork mince with the veggies and cut back a bit on the stock.

The results were so yummy that ALL of the stuffing muffins were polished off – quite a mean feat considering there were 2 roast chickens and a whole apple pie left over.

• 1 2 3 4 5