Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins

Scones & Muffins, Sides, Thanksgiving

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

Hi. I’m baaaaack.

I actually never left, but sometimes the one day breaks between posts make me miss you a lot. I can say this because we’ve moved past the whole newness in our relationship. I don’t care if I love you more at this point. It just is what is…you know?!

Wait, do you think it’s weird I’m talking about our relationship in public like this? Whatever. DEAL!

I feel like you know me pretty well at this point. You understand who I am as a person. You know I have an affinity for glitter nail polish. You know I cry sometimes and make pancakes. You know I think fantasy football is stupid. You ALSO know that I loooove to try and make stuff cute.

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

I made churros (that sometimes can look like…I don’t have to say it. You know)…into Churro Tots! And complicated pretzels into Pretzel Tots. And sloppy, meat sandwiches into Sloppy Joe Sliders! I’m starting to think my life calling is to take normal dishes that are totally minding their own business and give them a “cute” makeover.

Almost like that scene in Clueless when D and Cher take Ty from rough and stoner-like to cute and dumb. Just like that…but with sandwiches and fried things…and now, stuffing.

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

Despite its revamped, cute form, this stuffing is a winner all on its own.

If you decided against the whole muffin tin thing, then I urge you to simply make this as directed below and put it in a casserole dish and bake. DELICIOUS!

It’s studded with onions, leeks, celery, fragrant sage…and pancetta.

I currently have a huge crush on pancetta…and I’m starting to think it has everything to do with how it looks like swirl bread on the inside. It makes me want to eat it raw. #notreally #butsorta

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

This stuffing is pretty straight forward. You start by toasting the cubes of bread.

Cook the pancetta. To its grease, you add the vegetables. Cook them until they’re cooked.

Add the pancetta back. Pour in some chicken stock. Salt to taste. Stir some eggs in. And then pack the muffin tins with the stuffing.

Bake and then done.

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

A few pro tips along the way?!

Make sure the stuffing is pretty moist. This will help with it keeping its shape as it cooks in the muffin tin. I didn’t do this with two of them and they fell apart. Just pack the stuffing in those tins tightly. That’s all.

And…the salt. It’s tricky! Salt to taste…for sure! If you use pancetta…AND a salty chicken broth, the 1/2 teaspoon below will be WAY too much. So yeah, salt to taste.

That is all.

P.S. Do you see my chipped nail polish below?! I’m allowing you to judge me. It’s been a looooong week..(and it’s Wednesday). πŸ™‚

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins // www.acozykitchen.com

Pancetta Sage Stuffing Muffins

6 1/2 cups of white bread, cubed (about 1 loaf)
1/2 pound pancetta, diced
1 cup yellow onion, diced (about 1 medium yellow onion)
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 leak, cleaned and thinly sliced
5 large fresh sage leaves, chopped
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1/2 tablespoon salt* (See note below about salt)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

1. Thoroughly butter the muffin tin and set aside.

2. In a single layer, place the bread cubes on two sheet pans and bake for 10 minutes, or until barely toasted. Remove and set aside.

3. In a large saute pan, cook the pancetta over medium-high heat, being sure to stir regularly, for about 7 minutes, or until slightly browned and crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain. The pancetta should release a few tablespoons of grease. This is good! We’ll use this to cook the vegetables. If for some reason your pancetta is super lean, you might want to add a teaspoon of unsalted butter. Bring heat down to medium, and add the diced onion, sliced celery, sliced leek, salt and pepper, and cook until all is softened and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the sage and thyme and cook just until fragrant.

*Note about salt: If your pancetta is super salty and you’re not using low-sodium broth, I’d recommend halving the salt and doing a “salt to taste” BEFORE you put in the egg (which is the last step). These two variables will affect the salt measurement tremendously. πŸ™‚

4. Turn off the heat and add pancetta, toasted bread crumbs and chicken broth to the vegetable mixture and toss. Do a taste test. Does it need a bit more salt? If you’re all good then add the slightly beaten eggs and mix once more.

5. Using a tablespoon, transfer mounds of the stuffing mixture to each muffin tin. Be sure to tightly pack the stuffing in each of the muffin cups. This will make sure the mixture adheres to itself and the muffins don’t fall apart.

6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until top is browned. To remove, take a butter knife and go around each of the stuffing muffins’ outer edge. Using your knife, gently lift it up out of the muffin tins. Serve warm.

Yields 12 Stuffing “Muffins”

Pancetta and Sage Stuffing Muffins

• Reply Natasha McEachron November 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Oh, I LOVE stuffing (eat it year-round) and these muffins are adorable. Perfect combination, I can’t wait to try making them.

• Reply Ildi November 15, 2012 at 7:28 pm

What a great idea to put the stuffing in muffin molds! I’ll definitely make this one. (although not with meat bc we’re vegetarian)

• Reply Scott Q November 13, 2012 at 6:56 am

….mmmm gonna try the bit-o-green ‘n red with Granny Smith chunks and some Craisins….brilliant recipe! Thanks!

• Reply DrJuan November 12, 2012 at 6:03 pm

This is just like grandma used to make – but she was more practical and used bacon and often added milk instead of stock. The important thing is to not turn the bread into mush – add just enough liquid to moisten and allow only a very a little compression during placement in the mold.

• Reply JuliaSmalls December 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm

We made these for thanksgiving, delicious!! I’ve never made a homemade stuffing before, and this was so easy. To save time on Thanksgiving, I prepped all the veggies, and pre-chopped the pancetta, stored overnight, and it was really quick to cook everything the next day. They stored really well for leftovers– one way that we used them after was to put a stuffin’-muffin right in the middle of a bowl of soup, specifically this soup http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/10/corn-cheese-chowder/ YUMMMM!!!!

• Reply Adrianna December 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Makes me so so happy! I made them too for Thanksgiving and was pretty pumped that they tasted delicious the next day. Love the idea of adding it to soup!

• Reply Sue November 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for this great recipe to try. I’m wondering if it would work for the stuffing to stay formed if put into paper/foil baking cups, then in a muffin tin, like cupcakes? The top would still get crispy and it would all look nice on a platter. Has that been tried?

• Reply Adrianna November 23, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I don’t think anyone has tried this but it’s a really good idea, but I bet it’d work beautifully.

• Reply Abby Rice November 22, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I made these last night and they were delicious! Thanks for the idea. I was a bit skeptical at first to put eggs in stuffing but they turned out to be so good! I didnt have any pancetta on hand so I used bacon, and omitted the leak.

• Reply Lisa @ The Cooking Bride November 21, 2011 at 4:05 am

These look crazy delicious. My husband doesn’t like bread stuffing (he calls is soggy bread stuffing). But I totally see myself making these when he isn’t home and eating the entire pan by myself.

• Reply Stephanie Lang November 21, 2011 at 3:52 am

Just purchased all of the ingredients to make these for Thanksgiving. You’re the best!

• Reply Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet November 20, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Okay, so I am definitely making these for my husband this year. So cute! Keep up the great work!

• Reply cindy November 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

These look amazing! I LOVE stuffing! Single serving style? Even better! I could just eat a mountain of them, I bet. My mom never thinks we need stuffing since she doesn’t like it…As if, mom. As if.

• Reply Nicole Gamble November 18, 2011 at 10:12 am

Great recipe ! I made it! It`s delicious!!!

• Reply Maria November 18, 2011 at 5:56 am

Wow! This is such a good idea, because now I can bring stuffing as an at school snack <3

• Reply Baking Serendipity November 18, 2011 at 3:12 am

I love this! I’m also fairly certain that anything in its “mini” form is an excuse to eat extra. It’s totally appropriate for Thanksgiving πŸ™‚

• Reply kayla @ la cucina del bargello November 18, 2011 at 2:46 am

I love leeks…what a great element to add to the muffins. A nice portion control option for stuffing. I’d say the cute mission on this one was throughly accomplished.

• 1 2 3 4 5