A little spicy, super lime-y and delicious sweet, these Hot Honey Lime Wings are the perfect weeknight meal. The marinade takes 5 minutes to whisk together and the wings bake in the oven. Toss the wings with the sauce and dinner is one the table!
What is Hot Honey?
Well, it’s spicy honey! I first had it on a pizza at this place in Brooklyn (I can’t remember the name right now, grrr!). But it’s essentially some type of chili steeped in honey. The spicy and sweet combination is delicious and wonderful. So I thought, why not put it on wings.
How to Make Crispy Wings in the Oven
File frying things high up on the list as things I dislike (except churros – those are worth it). I like to toss chicken wings in baking powder and salt. And then put them on a rack and place them on top of a baking sheet.
I bake them at 250 degrees F for 15 minutes and then and then another 30 minutes at 350 F. What this does is renders out the fat in the chicken skin and then bakes them throughout.
Making Hot Honey Lime Wings
- Follow the steps above for the baking of the wings.
- While they’re in the oven, make the marinade. Whisk together the honey, lime juice and spices. Set it aside.
- When the wings are warm, transfer them to a bowl and pour half of the sauce on top, toss the wings in the sauce and add the remaining sauce. Toss one last time and plate it up.
- Garnish it with green onions and sesame seeds.
Tips and Tricks
If you want to make these ahead, you can certainly toss the wings in the baking powder/salt mixture and then put them on a cooling rack and stick ’em in the fridge for up to 3 hours.
And you could also whisk together the marinade up to 2 days ahead (if you don’t like spice, I would leave out the crushed red pepper until right before you’re going to use it).
If you make these hot Honey Lime Wings, let me know on Instagram!
Looking for more quick easy recipes? Check out these favorites:
Hot Honey Lime Wings Recipe
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken wings or drummets
- 2/3 cup honey
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 green onion , thinly sliced (for garnish)
To Make the Wings:
- Place a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet. Prep the chicken: wash the chicken wings, followed by drying them off thoroughly using paper towels. *Washing chicken is super controversial - some people do it some people don’t. Do what you want lol.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the baking powder and salt. Add the wings to the bowl and toss them with the mixture, thoroughly. Transfer the wings to the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until slightly crispy.
- Turn the heat to 350 degrees F and bake for a remaining 20 minutes, until medium golden brown.
To Make the Sauce:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and spices.
- Add the chicken wings to a bowl and pour the the sauce on top, tossing them in the sauce until completely coated.
- Transfer them to a serving plate and garnish them with sesame seeds and sliced green onion.