This Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart is not only gluten-free with an almond meal crust, but surprise! It’s also dairy-free with a coconut cream filling. All just as equally as good as the classic with the option to serve it people that might not be able to have gluten or dairy.
When I opened Sweet Laurel by Claire Thomas and Laurel Gallucci, I was pleasantly surprised with how easy the recipes seemed. Their book is full of grain-free desserts, all of which are made with minimal amount of ingredients. I settled on this almond crusted strawberry coconut cream tart because it was as simple as can be and your girl looooves coconut.
This tart is SO simple to throw together. The only prep is to make sure you have a can of coconut in the fridge so it’s super chilled because the filling is coconut whipped cream.
How to Make a Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart:
- Make the tart crust. In a food processor pulse all the almond flour crust ingredients together until the dough starts to form a ball.
- Bake the crust. Press the dough into a greased tart pan until it’s an even thickness and bake just until set.
- Make the filling. Whip together the coconut cream with maple syrup until light and fluffy.
- Assemble and serve! Spread the coconut cream inside the tart crust and top with sliced strawberries.
How to make Coconut Cream:
- Chill. At least overnight. The longer you let the coconut milk chill you’ll end up with a more firm coconut cream to whip.
- Scoop. Separate the cream from the coconut water in the can. Save the coconut water for your smoothies.
- Whip. Whip the coconut cream up with a little maple syrup using an electric mixer.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart Recipe
Gluten-Free Tart Shell
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil solid, plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 large egg
Coconut Whipped Cream + Toppings:
- 2 13.5 ounce cans of full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated for at least 6 hours
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups of strawberries halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup raspberries
- A few chamomile flowers as garnish, this is optional
To Make the Gluten-Free Tart Shell:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease a 9-inch tart pan with coconut oil.
- In a food processor fitted with the chopping blade, pulse the flour and salt until combined. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and egg and blend until the mixture forms a ball.
- *If you don’t own a food processor, you can make this in a large bowl, you just have to get your hands in there to mix it thoroughly.
- Lightly press the dough into the tart pan and make sure it goes up the sides of the tart shell is in an even as layer as possible.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove crust from the oven and allow to cool completely.
To Make the Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Remove the solid coconut cream that has risen to the top of the can, and spoon it into a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat ht coconut cream on high speed until it begins to thicken and peaks form. The remaining coconut water can be saved for drinking later.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly fold in the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Spoon the whipped cream into the center of the tart shell and spread around so it’s in an even layer. Add the sliced strawberries and raspberries and chamomile flowers, if using. This is the best the same day it is made but the crust can be made up to a week ahead of time and stored, well wrapped, in the fridge.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know on Instagram!
Looking for more strawberry recipes? Here are some of my favorites: