This is one of those days when I don’t have anything to say except a few things.
1. Brooks cancer debacle is cray.
2. I love pancakes.
3. Cookie (from Empire) is my favorite. I want to make cookies inspired by Cookie.
That’s sort of all I have today. It’s one of those days when I don’t have much to say. Do you have those days?
I’m currently in the zone with all the actual preparation and mental preparation that’s involved with coming out with a book. EEEK! I’m less terrified than I actually was like two weeks ago. I’m not sure what it is, maybe I’m just used to idea now that it’ll actually be out in the world.
The spelt flour is my absolute favorite. They taste like whole wheat but a whole lot lighter. The sweet honey crisp apples are delicious when suspended in the batter. And warm maple syrup. Yum! Fall!
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, slightly cooled
- 1 honey crisp apple, shredded with a box grater
- In a medium bowl, mix together the spelt flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
- In a measuring cup (or small bowl), measure out the milk. Add the egg, vanilla and melted butter; whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the shredded apple and mix just until it’s mixed in. The batter should have some small to medium lumps.
- Heat up your griddle (or cast iron skillet), over medium heat, and brush with 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Scoop the batter, using a tablespoon, onto the warm skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until small bubbles form on the surface of the pancake, and then flip. Turn heat down to medium-low and cook on opposite side for about 1 minute, or until golden brown.
- Transfer cooked pancakes to a baking sheet and place in 200 degree preheated oven to keep warm. Proceed with the rest of the batter until you’re done. Serve with additional slice of apple, pomegranate seeds and warm maple syrup.