Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you click on the link and make a purchase.
These Homemade Sugar Cubes make an easy, inexpensive gift. Make them for your friends and family, or make them for yourself! These only require two ingredients: sugar and water! Pair them with my Homemade Vanilla Extract for the ultimate home-spun gift.
For me, a homemade gift needs to be chill to make. If it’s not, then I’ll just buy something, you know?
Ingredients for Homemade Sugar Cubes
- Sugar – I like to use white granulated OR cane sugar for these sugar cubes.
- Water – Yep, it’s that simple.
The Perfect Homemade Gift
I got this idea when I was walking through Harrod’s last month with and saw the saw the most adorable sugar cubes. They were shaped like snow flakes but the price was shocking (I think it was close to 30 pounds!)
That’s when I came home and challenged myself to make them. And turns out they couldn’t be simpler.
Equipment You’ll Need
The only think you do need to buy is a silicon candy mold. You may have one already, if you don’t, don’t worry because they’re not expensive.
I used a heart-shaped candy mold but feel free to use any shape you like.
How to Make Homemade Sugar Cubes
- Mix together sugar and a bit of water together (exact measurements are below) until it resembles wet sand.
- Then, pack the silicon mold very tightly.
- Allow the sugar cubes to dry overnight in the mold.
- And then pop them out of silicon mold.
- You’ll end up with super cute sugar cubes!
Tips and Tricks
- Adapt according to your molds! My molds were sort of deep and they ended up yielding pretty big sugar cubes (perhaps too much for a cup of coffee or tea) so I ended up just filing them about half way and they were perfect!
- If you place the silicon mold about a foot or two away from the heat source in your house, then they’ll dry even quicker.
Recipes to Pair with these Homemade Sugar Cubes
If you tried these Homemade Sugar Cubes or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Homemade Sugar Cubes Recipe
- 1 heart silicon mold (or something comparable)
- 1 bowl
- 1 cup pure cane sugar or white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- In a medium bowl, add the sugar. Pour in the water and and mix vigorously until the water is evenly distributed throughout the sugar. It should feel similar to damp sand. Transfer the sugar to the candy molds and press the granules down until very packed.
- Air-dry, ideally overnight or at least 6 hours. Pop them out of the molds and transfer to an airtight container.
- If you want the sugar cubes to be a fun color, you can add a teeny drop of food coloring to the sugar/water mixture. Be sure to wear gloves when you mix it all together.
- Add extracts to the sugar mixture such as almond extract, vanilla extract or lemon extract.
- Get creative with the molds. I used a heart silicon mold but this would work in any mold.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
Looking for more DIYs? Here are some of my favorites: