These Cauliflower tacos are my favorite vegetarian weeknight meal. They’re super flavorful, crispy and are so good when added to blistered tortillas and garnished with avocado crema, cotija cheese, sliced radishes and green onions.
If you think about it, cauliflower has had an incredible decade. It’s been transformed into everything from pizza crust to “wings” to pasta in mac and cheese. I’ll admit tho, while I love cauliflower, there are limits that have been tested! I despise it as pizza crust. It’s straight vile.
The better application comes in form of these tacos. They’re not necessarily transformed or taking place of something. They act as they are: cauliflower florets.
How to Make Cauliflower Tacos
- The first step is to cut up the cauliflower in florets. Next, we’re going to heat up some avocado oil (or another neutral oil) and pan sear the cauliflower. I like to do this so that we have some color on the cauliflower.
- Sprinkle the cauliflower with the spice mixture and toss it together until combined.
- Pour in some water and immediately cover the pan with a lid. This will help steam the cauliflower and ensure even cooking.
- You can take this time to make the avocado crema which is just an avocado, some lime juice, cilantro, water and a few pinches of salt. And that’s it!
- Just assemble the tacos with whatever toppings you want.
- I blistered my tortillas over my gas range. And added a few spoonfuls of cauliflower to each tortilla, poured a spoonful of avocado crema on top, some radishes, cotija cheese and green onions!
Tips and Tricks
- Can I make this ahead? I’m going to say NO lol. Cooked cauliflower really doesn’t keep well in the fridge (in my opinion) so I think this dish is best made and consumed in one sitting.
If you make these Cauliflower Tacos, let me know on Instagram!
- 1 large avocado
- Juice from half a lime
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup water
- Kosher salt
- 1 (2-lb) head of cauliflower cut into small florets
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup water
- Corn tortillas
- Cilantro leaves as garnish
- Cotija cheese as garnish
To Make the Avocado Crema:
- In a small food processor or blender, add the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, water and a few pinches of kosher salt. Blend until very smooth.
To Make the Cauliflower:
- Prep the cauliflower by cutting into florets. In a medium skillet, set over medium-high heat, add the avocado oil. When hot, add in the cauliflower and cook on each side for about 1 to 2 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, mix together the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cumin and oregano. Add a few pinches of salt to the cauliflower and add the spices. Give it a thorough mix until the cauliflower is evenly coated. Pour in the water and then immediately cover the pan, and turn the heat down to medium-low. Cook for 5 minutes. Give the cauliflower a taste and adjust the salt to taste.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- I like to blister tortillas over an open flame (my gas burner lol). Add a spoonful of the cauliflower to each tortilla, along with a tablespoon of the crema, green onions, cilantro leaves, sliced radishes and a sprinkling of cotija cheese.