This Beet Hummus recipe results in a bright pink, creamy twist on the classic dip using roasted beets. Eat it with slices of warm pita or crudite.
If you thought I used food coloring in this creation…girl you've lost your mind. I would NEVER!
This hummus is all about beets. I loooove it.
What to Eat with Beet Hummus:
- Pita Bread. Super easy, just cut it up into wedges and warm it up slightly so it doesn't seem dry.
- Pita Chips. If you want something a little crunchier, go for the pita chips.
- Vegetables. The beet flavor also pairs well with carrot and celery sticks.
How to make Beet Hummus:
- Roast the beet. Place the beet in a baking dish, add a little water, and cover with foil. Roast in the oven until the beet is fork tender.
- Peel the Garbanzo Beans. This is totally optional but if you want the most smooth hummus you need to peel the skin off the chickpeas. It's a good thing to do while watching tv while the beet is roasting!
- Cube up the beet. Once the beet is roasted and cooled, cube it up so it blends easier.
- Make the hummus. Add the beet along with the rest of the hummus ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth, adding beet juice as needed.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know on Instagram!
Looking for more appetizer recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
Beet Hummus Recipe
- 1 medium-sized beet
- ¼ cup water
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans drained and outer skin remove (last part is optional)
- 1 garlic cloves peeled
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
To Roast the Beets:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice off the beet greens and set aside. To a small baking dish, add the beet, along with the ¼ cup water.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and transfer to the oven to roast for 45 minutes, until the beet is tender when poked with a fork.
- Transfer the beet to a cutting board to cool; and being sure to reserve the beet juice for later use. Slice off the tops of the beet, peel it and then cube it up.
To Make the Beet Hummus:
- To the jar of a blender or food processor, add the cubed beet, garbanzo beans, garlic cloves, tahini paste, lemon juice and olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- You may need to add a splash or two of water to get it to your desired consistency. Give it a taste test and salt to taste (I added about 1 ½ teaspoons of salt). Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl.
- I also love this hummus topped with a drizzle of olive oil and served with warm slices of pita.
Leave a Reply