This baked brie dip with delicata squash is a fall favorite. It’s mixed with melty mozzarella, caramelized onions, tender squash! Serve it with your favorite crackers or soft bread for the ultimate easy fall appetizer.
If you’re looking for a quick, make-ahead type of appetizer for fall, look no further! She is here and glorious and cheesy with lots of savory flavors.
How to Make Baked Brie Dip with Delicata Squash
- This recipe begins with caramelizing onions. I like to cook them in a pan with some butter and salt and then sweat them out. After they’re done sweating, I like to uncover the pan and cook them on very low heat for about 20 minutes. Caramelized onions are always a labor of love but they’re worth it!
- Sauté the delicata squash in some olive oil, thyme, crushed red pepper and salt, until it’s tender.
- Next, you’re going to mix the caramelized onions with the mozzarella, brie, crushed red pepper, thyme, black pepper and salt.
- Add half of the onions/cheese mixture to a baking dish. And then add half of the delicata squash mixture. Repeat the layering and then add a handful of mozzarella on top! Bake it up and serve it with crackers, some endive and/or bread!
If you make this Baked Brie Dip with Delicata Squash, let me know on Instagram!
Looking for more recipes? Here are some favorites:
- Squash Saltado
- Delicata Squash Baked Shells
- Acorn Squash Queso Fundido
- Melty Baked Brie with Figs and Walnuts
- Delicata Squash Black Bean Enchiladas
Baked Brie Dip with Caramelized Onions and Delicata Squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more as needed
- Kosher Salt
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 delicata squash
- Kosher salt
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme divided
- 1 round freshly cracked pepper
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes divided
- 8 ounces brie cheese at room temperature
- 4 ounces mozzarella cheese about 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
To Make the Caramelized Onions:
- To a medium pot, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When hot, add the sliced onions and a few pinches of salt. Stir until they’re coated in olive oil. Cover the pot and allow to cook for about 10 minutes, checking on them every so often and giving them a stir. This will help steam and sweat the onions down. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- At the 15 minutes mark, turn the heat down to low. Uncover the pot and cook on low, stirring frequently, about 15 more minutes. At the 25 minute mark, add the butter and cook for an additional 10 minutes or so, until they’re lightly golden brown. (I didn’t take these too too dark because of time.) Remove from the heat and transfer them to a bowl.
To Make the Dip:
- Half the delicata squash, lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds and stringy stuff. Dice the squash and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small sauté pan, set over medium heat, pour in the olive oil. when warm, add the delicata squash, along with a few pinches of salt. Add the leaves of one sprig of thyme and a few turns of freshly cracked pepper, along with a pinch of red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the squash is cooked all the way through. Give it a taste and cook for a few minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, to the bowl with the caramelized onions, add the brie, 1 cup of mozzarella, the creme fraiche, leaves from the two remaining sprigs of thyme, a pinch of crushed red peppers, a pinch of salt and a few rounds of freshly ground pepper. Mix and mash it together until combined.
- Transfer half of it to a 6 x 6-inch casserole dish or something comparable, and then top it with a handful of the remaining mozzarella and a few spoonfuls of squash. Repeat until you’ve worked your way through all of the cheese and squash. Top with a generous handful of cheese.