This Olive Oil Berry Cake is moist, fresh, easy to make and perfect for the summer months when fresh fruit is in abundance. Make it, top it with fresh strawberries and blackberries.
Summer is here! I couldn’t be more excited about this olive oil cake with fresh berries. It took exactly twenty tries for me to get right but I could not be more excited about how delicious and fresh this cake came out!
For this post, I teamed up with ALDI where I went to get all of my summer baking needs. For years, I’ve wanted to make an olive oil cake but I always hesitated because most of them called for a healthy amount of olive oil and the cake just sounded sort of expensive to make. But at ALDI I was able to buy the freshest berries and really great-quality olive oil for really affordable prices.
Every single item I purchased at ALDI made for a super delicious, tasty and affordable cake that is perfect for any bbq, summer-y get together or simple dinner.
And every single item is shoppable via Instacart. If you click on this link, each ingredient that this recipe calls for will be automatically added to your Instacart basket—isn’t that cool?! You’re only minutes from having the groceries delivered to your door; this olive oil cake is in your future.
What is an Olive Oil Cake?
Olive Oil Cake is an extremely moist cake that is fine-textured, light and fragrant. Olive oil can be better than butter for cakes because it lends superior moisture over time. They have a tendency to be quite rich so I pair it here with berries here to cut through some of that fattiness.
Let’s get into the nitty-gritty of this cake! Olive oil cakes can be challenging because I really wanted you to be able to taste the olive oil in this cake. But I also didn’t want it to be super dense or heavy.
This required leaning on the eggs and sugar to add a bit of lightness. The trick here is beating the eggs and sugar until they go from a sunny bright yellow color to pale and fluffy. This adds some additional air into the cake, which will assist the baking powder in making it light and bright.
I only added blueberries to the batter; and since the batter is super thin, it is a requirement to toss the blueberries in a bit of corn starch (you could also use tapioca starch).
How to Make this Olive Oil Berry Cake
- Mix the dry ingredients together.
- Beat the sugar, eggs and lemon zest together. Then add the olive oil and honey.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients and milk. Alternate between the two.
- Add half the batter to the pan. Top with half the berries.
- Add the remaining batter. Top with the remaining berries.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven down and bake for 15-20 minutes. Use a skewer to ensure that the cake is finished.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack.
- Garnish with whipped cream.
For serving this cake, I love to add a bit of whipped cream on top with some additional fresh berries that aren’t in the cake: strawberries and blackberries. Strawberries and blackberries are a bit too wet to add to the cake but they’re perfect on top!
Olive Oil Berry Cake Recipe
Olive Oil Berry Cake:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons wildflower honey
- 3/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon more for pan
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup blackberries sliced
To Make the Berry Olive Oil Cake:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rub about a teaspoon of olive oil in a 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan. Line the bottom with a round or parchment and set aside. In a small bowl, toss together the blueberries and corn starch; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment, (alternatively you could use a medium bowl and an electric hand mixer), add the eggs, sugar and lemon zest. Beat for about 5 minutes, until light, fluffy, and pale yellow.
- Pour in the olive oil, honey and mix until combined. Alternating between the milk and dry ingredient mixture, add to the egg mixture until combined.
- Add about 1/2 cup of batter to the bottom of the pan (you can eyeball this measurement), and then place a handful of blueberries to the top of the batter. Add the remaining batter and then the rest of the blueberries.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F and bake for a remaining 15 to 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, before inverting onto a cooling rack and allowing to cool to room temperature.
- When you’re ready to serve the cake, add the heavy cream and powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand-up mixer with the whisk attachment. Alternatively, you could use a medium bowl with an electric hand mixer. Whip until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add a few dollops of whipped cream to the top of the cake. Place a few berries on top and dust the entire thing with powdered sugar.
Looking for more summer dessert recipes? Here are a few that I love:
If you make this cake, let me know on Instagram!