April is the month I’ve vowed to get my shit together. Every single day I have a different task assigned. I’ve scheduled a day to go through all of my clothes, props, old bills, etc. I want to purge! And tomorrow, is going to be a very fun go-to-the-accountant-day. Tax season is here—FUN! Honestly, I have a feeling it’s not gonna be that bad. But I do have a drink and dinner scheduled with friends so I’m hoping it’ll help A LOT.
I’m also trying to get things prepped in the morning for dinner at night. A lot of times people are like, “what do you make for dinner?” And I’m going to be 100% honest, I don’t always have the best answer. Sometimes it’s cereal, a salad I throw together, scrambled eggs, take-out. But I’ve made these about three times since I photographed them for the blog. They are so good and easy to put together.
This recipe comes from my friend Molly Yeh’s new book YOGURT. Yes she wrote a whole book about yogurt and it’s amazing. It’s a cute short stacks book and I just love it.
I also used her pita recipe and it was the fluffiest most delicious pita ever. I made little sandwiches with it. The past few times I’ve made the chicken, I’ve left out the pita because I try to not eat too many carbs at night. So I just paired it with a salad and bam! So good.
The chicken chills out in a bowl in the fridge with a yogurt marinade filled with a bunch of delicious things like red onion, seasoning, lemon juice and more. When you’re ready, you can grill them OR you can do like I did and just bake ‘em on a baking sheet in the oven.
You won’t get that beautiful sear or char like from a pan or grill but the oven is pretty hands off (ideal for me) so I went that route.
It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
Here’s a link to Molly’s new book and her blog!
Yogurt-Marinated Ras al Hanout Chicken Skewers
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ras al hanout
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves smahsed
- 3/4 cup fresh mint leaves finely chopped
- 1 lemon halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 to 2-inch cubes
- 1 bell pepper and 1/2 red onion chopped into 1 to 2 -inch pieces, to add to the skewers (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, salt, ras al hanout, sugar, harissa, oil, onion, garlic, mint, juice from half of the lemon and about 12 turns of pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon). Fold in the chicken to evenly coat the cubes, then cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight. Soak 8 wooden skewers, adding bell pepper and onion (if using) in between the pieces.
For grill or grill pan cooking instructions:
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook the skewers, turning them occasionally, until they're deeply browned on all sides and cooked through.
For oven cooking instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. Cook the skewers for about 20 minutes, until cooked all the way through. Rotate them at the 10 minute mark for even baking.
- Squeeze with the juice from the remaining lemon half. Serve with rice or salad or in pita.
Leave a Reply