These Miso Brownies are chocolate-y, indulgent and have a lovely savory quality to them due to the white miso paste. The fudge-y center and crispy edges make a perfect brownie combination.
These miso brownies have been in my brain for a long time! I saw them in the bakery case of a bakery I can’t actually remember but thought they sounded so good! Sweet and savory and chocolate-y…sign me up.
I wanted brownies that had a super crackly top and after I did some Googling and testing, I figured out that the thing that ensures a super crackly crust is beating the eggs and sugar together for a full 10 minutes (thanks, Martha!). Also, the sugar amount has to be up there for this to really work.
The Best Type of Chocolate for Brownies
If your goal is to have delicious chocolate brownies, you must use delicious chocolate. Makes sense, right? Absolutely. In this recipe I used 80% dark chocolate. This gives a delicious fudge-y texture and deep, rich flavor.
How to Make Miso Brownies
- Grease your brownie pan. A typical brownie pan is 8×8!
- Create a double boiler with a glass bowl that’s nestled in a saucepan filled with a few inches of water. Add the butter and chocolate.
- Melt the chocolate! Stir it occasionally until smooth.
- Mix together the eggs, egg white, sugar; until everything is pale and fluffy. As a result, we’ll end up with a delicious crackly top!
- Add the white miso and vanilla extract.
- Pour in the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
- Lastly, add the flour.
- Pour into the 8×8 baking pan and bake!
If you make these miso brownies, let me know on Instagram!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces 70% bittersweet chocolate
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white or yellow miso
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, as garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can rub it with butter.
- Nestle a glass or stainless steel bowl over a saucepan with a few inches of simmering water. Add the butter and chocolate. Allow to melt, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment, add the eggs, egg white and sugar; beat on medium speed for a full 10 minutes (set a timer!), until the mixture is a pale yellow and very fluffy. This will ensure a crispy top to our brownies. Add the miso and vanilla extract. With the mixer on low, pour the melted Scharffen Berger chocolate into the egg mixture until combined. Lastly, mix in the flour. Transfer to your prepared baking dish and bake for 17 to 22 minutes, until the top has a sheen and is a little crackly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing into. Garnish with a dusting of powdered sugar and then serve with milk.
Looking for more chocolate recipes? Here are some other favorites:
- Chocolate Sheet Cake with Fudge-y Frosting
- Profiteroles with Hot Chocolate Sauce
- Sesame Pumpkin Chocolate Cake
- Pink and Black Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Sweet & Salty Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies