This queso fundido appetizer is super cheesy, full of flavor and super delicious. It consists of baked cheese that’s mixed with softened onions, garlic and peppers. Serve it with crispy chips and a margarita! Yum!
- 6 ounces soyrizo OR pork chorizo removed from casing
- 1/4 cup red onion peeled and minced
- 4 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/4 canned green chiles chopped (OR 1/2 green bell pepper, diced)
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 tablespoons milk optional
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1 handful cilantro roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
To a skillet, set over medium heat, cook the soyrizo or chorizo, breaking it up into crumbles until cooked and fragrant. Remove all of it and transfer it to a small bowl. If needed, add a teaspoon or two of olive oil. Next, add the diced red onion and minced garlic to the skillet; add a pinch of salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add most of the chorizo/soyrizo back to the skillet (reserving about 1/4 cup for the topping) to the skillet. Mix it all up and spread it into an even layer.
Pour in the shredded cheese and milk. Give it a loose mix and spread it into an even layer.
Transfer to the oven to bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until cheesy and melty.
When it comes out of the oven, top it with the remaining chorizo/soyrizo, avocado and sprinkling of cilantro. Serve with chips.
Tips and Tricks:
Le Creuset Cast Iron Skillet | Food Processor | Box Grater | Measuring Cups | Measuring Spoons |
- Use blocks of cheese vs. pre-shredded cheese. Cheese that is pre-shredded usually is coated in stabilizers in order to prevent clumping. I find that blocks of cheese results in a much cheesier queso fundido.
- To shred cheese quickly, use a food processor with the cheese grater insert. It grates in literally under 1 minute. It’s amazing. Of course, if you don’t own a food processor, you can use a box grater, too.
Calories: 437kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 667mg | Potassium: 252mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 874IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 730mg | Iron: 1mg