Dulce de Leche Muddy Buddies
Dulce de Leche Chex™ Muddy Buddies™ are a fun entertaining recipe. This post is sponsored by Chex Cereal. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep A Cozy Kitchen cozy!
- 5 cups Chex Cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 (14-ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk (see notes for alternatives)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a sheet of parchment onto a baking sheet and set aside. Add the Rice Chex to a large bowl and set it aside.
In a resealable bag, add the powdered sugar.
Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk in a shallow baking dish. Place a cinnamon stick in the center and cover it with foil. Place it in a roasting pan or a larger baking dish and fill it up half way with water. This will create a water bath and will help to slowly cook the sweetened condensed milk and transform it to dulce de leche. This will take probably about 1 1/2 hours.
I like to let it cool a bit before I take off the foil. I find it to be easier. Remove the foil and pour the dulce de leche in a small bowl. Whisk it smooth to get rid of any lumps. Pour in the avocado oil, pure vanilla extract and salt. Whisk it once more. And then pour it atop the Chex Cereal.
Give it a good mix until evenly coated and then immediately transfer to the prepared resealable bag. Close the bag securely and shake it, until all of the Rice Chex is evenly coated. Pour it on the prepared baking sheet and allow to dry and set for 30 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl and serve it up!
- Rice Chex – I used the Rice Chex because I personally love the flavor of them. Having said that, I think this recipe would be delicious with other Chex flavors too, like Chocolate Chex or Cinnamon Chex.
- Avocado oil – I wanted a neutral oil flavor in these but if you want to add a coconut vibe to them, use coconut oil! You could even add hazelnut oil, almond oil or another flavored oil like that.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 489mg | Potassium: 194mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 550IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 16mg