Black Bottom Pecan Pie
Black Bottom Pecan Pie recipe is chocolatey twist on a classic pecan pie. A thin layer of ganache is smeared on the bottom of the pie. It's baked with no corn syrup and uses brown rice syrup.
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup brown rice syrup (see notes below for substitutions)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups pecans (wholes and halves)
- 1 large egg (for egg wash) beaten
- Whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream for serving
To Make the Black Bottom
Preheat to 350 degrees F.
Add the chocolate to a small bowl. In a small saucepan, add the heavy cream and heat until very hot to the touch (about 130 degrees F). Immediately pour the heavy cream on top of the chocolate and allow to stand for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, whisk the chocolate and cream together until very smooth. Set aside.
Remove the pie crust from the fridge and allow to stand on the counter for about 10 minutes. I always find this helps with rolling it out. Begin to roll the dough, being sure to rotate it every so often to avoid sticking, to a 13-inch round. Wrap the dough around the rolling pin and unroll it over a 9-inch pie dish. Gently fit the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pie dish. Trim the dough around the pie tin, leaving a 1 1/2-inch overhang (this is important is you want a nice crimp). Tuck the overhang under itself all the way around. Rest your right thumb on the edge of the pie crust and using your left hand, shape a v. Push the two together, creating a large crimp. Work your way around the entire pie curst until you’re done.
Pour the melted chocolate into the pie crust and smooth it out with the back of a spoon to create an even layer. Transfer the pie crust to the freezer to chill for 15 to 20 minutes.
To Make the Filling and To Bake:
Meanwhile, in a saucepan, set over medium heat, add the brown sugar and cubes of butter. Heat until the butter has melted. Give it a good stir and then turn the heat off. Mix in the brown rice syrup, vanilla extract, salt and eggs. Mix until smooth.
Remove the pie crust from the freezer and add the pecans to the pie shell. Pour the filling into the pie crust and transfer to a baking sheet. Brush the edges of the pie crust with egg wash and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center has set (it may rise slightly and be slightly jiggly). Be sure to check on it periodically throughout the baking process—if at any time the crust get too brown, you can place a piece of foil over it to stop the browning.
Chill on the counter for about 2 hours before slicing. This will set the pie and is necessary in order to get nice slices! Serve with whipped cream and/or ice cream.
To Make Ahead:
- Make the crust the night before. Make the filling the night before and keep it in the fridge in a bowl. Make the ganache the night before and then just before pouring it in, warm in the microwave for a minute or so, just until melted. Assemble just before baking.
- Recipe for a single pie crust, click here
- If you like, you can use Light Corn Syrup and use a 1:1 substitution.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 234kcal