Creamy Mushroom Pasta
This creamy mushroom pasta is tossed in a delicious sauce of Grana Padano cheese, heavy cream and cremini and shiitake mushrooms. If you’re looking of a quick, delicious, weeknight meal, look no further!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and smashed)
- 1 shallot (peeled and minced)
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like spicy) Kosher salt
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (sliced)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup pasta water
- 3 ounces Grana Padano (finely grated, plus more for garnish)
- 1 pound pasta (of choice)
In a medium skillet, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When warm, add the garlic cloves, shallot, thyme leaves, crushed red pepper and a pinch of kosher salt. Next, add the sliced mushrooms and cook, adding more olive oil if needed. Cook them for about 3 minutes, until softened. Squeeze lemon juice over mushrooms. Remove the crushed garlic and discard.
Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta a minute shy of the recommended cooking time. We’re gonna finish it in the sauce. Remove about a cup of pasta water out of the pot and set aside. Drain the pasta.
Add pasta back to the pot, along with the butter, heavy cream, pasta water, Grana Padano and toss until combined. Cook over medium heat, until sauce has thickened and evenly coats the pasta, about 2 minutes. Mix the mushrooms into the pasta. Give it a taste and adjust the salt to taste.
Serve with a sprinkling of minced Italian parsley and shaved Grana Padano.
Tips and Tricks:
- This recipe is super easy and fool-proof. But with any pasta recipe, I say get everything ready beforehand. It moves quickly!
- Mushroom combination - I used cremini and shiitake mushrooms. But you could use chanterelles, button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, etc. The combinations are endless!
Serving: 4g | Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 32g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 20mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 15mg | Iron: 2mg