Plant-Based French Toast Recipe
This plant-based french toast has speckles of vanilla topped with simmered cranberries.
Cranberry Maple Syrup:
- 10- ounce bag of cranberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Zest and juice from 1 orange about 3 tablespoons
- 1 loaf of bread I used a French loaf, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 cup JUST Egg
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil or butter
- Powdered sugar for topping
To Make the Cranberry Maple Syrup:
To a medium saute pan, add the cranberries, sugar, maple syrup, water, vanilla, salt and orange juice and zest. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and allow to cook until softened and bubbling, about 10 minutes. I like to give it a stir every few minutes to make sure nothing is burning at the very bottom. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the French Toast:
To a casserole dish or a bowl, whisk together the JUST Egg, almond milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add the oil or butter. When warm, dip the slices of bread into the JUST egg mixture, letting any excess of the mixture drip off back into the dish. Transfer to the pan and cook until golden brown on each side, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread.
Dust with a bit of powdered sugar and serve with a few spoonfuls of the cranberry maple syrup on top.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 175kcal