Mini Chocolate Sheet Cake with Fudgey Frosting
This Mini Chocolate Sheet Cake is inspired by your favorite devil's food cake. The crumb is light, rich and super flavorful. The frosting is fudge-y and delicious, incorporating melted chocolate and heavy cream.
Servings: 6 people
Sheet Cake for Two:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coffee
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Fudge-y Chocolate Frosting:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- Pinch kosher salt
- 3 ounces semi-sweet (or dark) chocolate melted and cooled slightly
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Sprinkles of choice as garnish
To Make the Cake:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and line a 8x8-inch square cake pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, using a whisk, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Crack in the eggs, pour in the buttermilk, coffee, olive oil and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. The batter will be thin—that’s ok!
Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the cake pan for about 5 minutes and then invert onto a cooling rack and cool until room temperature before frosting.
To Make the Frosting:
In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar and salt; beat until smooth, about a minute.
Pour in the melted chocolate and heavy cream. Beat again until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
To Frost the Cake:
Scoop the frosting onto the top of the cooled cake and make a bunch of swoops, decorating the top how you like. Top with a handful of sprinkles
Cut and serve. If you want nice, neat slice, transfer to the fridge to chill for about 15 minutes and then slice and serve.
Tips and Tricks:
Stand-Up Mixer | Silicone Spatula | Stainless Steel Bowl | 8x8-inch cake pan | Parchment Sheets | OXO Strainer | OXO Measuring Cups | OXO Measuring Spoons |
- The coffee should be brewed on the stronger side. No weak cups of coffee! The stronger, honestly the better. The coffee will bring out and highlight the chocolate flavor in this cake.
- Be sure to line your 8x8 cake pan. I see this a lot: people are like, it'll be fine! And then their cake sticks to the bottom of the pan and they're all mad. Think of parchment like our insurance plan.
- For the frosting you want slightly warm melted chocolate. It shouldn't be added to the butter super warm because it will melt the butter. But you also don't want to cool it too much or else it'll be solid.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 42g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 43mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 2mg