Cuban Picadillo consists of flavorful ground beef, spices, green olives, boiled egg and raisins cooked in a delicious tomato sauce, and then served over a bed of rice. This is the ideal weeknight meal because it can be made in under 30 minutes!
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil (I like to use grape seed or avocado oil)
- 1 russet potato peeled and cubed
- 1/2 large yellow onion (or 1 small yellow onion) peeled and diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper diced
- 6 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used 90/10 lean grass-fed beef)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth or water
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 2 large eggs boiled and diced
In a large sauté pan, set over medium heat, add the oil. When hot, add the diced russet potato and cook until crispy on both sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes from the pan and transfer to a sheet of paper towels or on top of a clean kitchen towel to drain.
In the same large sauté pan, add more oil, if needed. Add the onion, red bell pepper and garlic; cook until softened about 5 minutes. Add the meat and break up with a large spoon until it’s into crumbled ground beef. Add the salt and spices and give it a mix. Next, add the tomato paste, broth and golden raisins. Mix until all combined. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, we really want the flavors to combine and marry.
Lastly, mix in the red wine vinegar, crispy potatoes and diced boiled egg. Give it a taste and adjust the salt according to your liking. Serve alongside rice and tostones or maduros.
Like I said in the blog post, I've had this numerous ways, leaving things out if I don't have them. If you don't like the egg, leave it out! If you don't have raisins, leave it out.
If you want to make this very Keto and Whole 30, make it with sweet potatoes vs. regular potatoes. This recipe is very flexible.
Le Creuset Braiser
Serving: 4g | Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 843mg | Potassium: 777mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 492IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 4mg