Conversation Cupcakes Valentine's Day Recipe
These Conversation Cupcakes are rich yet light, cake filled with fluffy marshmallow cream. They are dipped in a silky smooth ganache frosting and decorated with my favorite fun Valentine’s Day sayings.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time36 mins
Decorating Time30 mins
Total Time1 hr 36 mins
Servings: 36 cupcakes
1 muffin tin
Stainless Steel Bowl
- 2 1/4 cup Baker’s Corner All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Baker’s Corner Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Baker’s Corner Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Baker’s Corner Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup Barissimo Fair Trade Certified Organic Honduran hot coffee
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large Simply Nature Grade A Organic Brown Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Specially Selected Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons Stonemill vanilla extract
- 1 (7-ounce) container of marshmallow fluff
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , at room temperature
Frosting for Writing:
- 1/2 cup Baker’s Corner Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 cup Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter
- 4 ounces Moser Roth Dark Chocolate , finely chopped
- 4 ounces Moser Roth Milk Chocolate , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of kosher salt
To Make the Cupcakes:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place 12 cupcakes liners into the cavities of a cupcake tin.
In a large bowl, add the flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined.
In a measuring cup, measure out the coffee. Whisk in the sour cream until smooth. Next, crack in the eggs, pour in the olive oil and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Fill each of the cupcake liners about 1/2 way. Transfer to the oven to bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack and cool until room temperature before frosting.
Repeat with the remaining cupcake batter. I got 36 cupcakes with this amount.
To Make the Frosting for Writing:
In the bowl of a stand-up mixer, with the paddle attachment, add the butter, powdered sugar and kosher salt; beat until smooth and fluffy, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip.
To Make the Filling and Fill:
Mix together the marshmallow crème and butter until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag with a small circular piping tip attached.
Using a paring knife, make a circular hole in the tops of the cupcakes, removing out a bit of cake. This will make room in the cupcakes for the filling.
Insert the piping tip into the cupcake and squeeze, filling up the cupcakes until the marshmallow crème reaches the top of the cupcake. Using a butter knife or offset spatula, make the marshmallow smooth to make a nice even surface.
To Make the Ganache Frosting:
In a small bowl, add the chopped chocolate. To a small saucepan, set over medium heat, add the heavy cream, butter and a pinch of salt. Warm until it reaches a gentle simmer. Give it a stir to combine the butter into the cream, and then pour it over the chopped chocolate. Stir until smooth and let stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
To Assemble the Cupcakes:
Add a tablespoon of ganache to the top of the cupcake and smooth it around with the back of a spoon until it looks like a nice even layer. Do the best you can—it doesn’t have to be perfect. I tried this with an offset spatula, but found that the back of a spoon was the easiest. Allow to set for 10 minutes.
Write whatever you like on the cupcakes. I used these phrases: “BFF, TXT ME, AMOR, Hi, XO, BAE.” But really write what you like. Or don’t, if you don’t want to write phrases on top—no biggie. These are delicious.
Tips For Making These Ahead:
- You can make these cupcakes up to 2 days ahead. Allow to cool to room temperature and then place in a sealed plastic bag or container. Keep in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
- Make the ganache frosting up to a day ahead and keep in the fridge. Warm in a microwave in 30 second intervals until you can stir it smooth.
Calories: 35kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 164mg | Potassium: 28mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 127IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 16mg | Iron: 1mg