Spicy Sambal Mushroom Noodles Recipe
These spicy and sweet noodles are delicious because of the crispy oyster mushrooms and spicy sambal.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil (such as vegetable oil, avocado oil or sunflower oil)
- 1 pound oyster mushrooms trimmed nd diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger (from about 1-inch knob)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 sprigs fresh basil plus more as garnish
- 1/3 cup sambal oelek chili paste OR sriracha
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vingar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds linguine or ramen noodles
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (or skip if you want to make it vegan!)
To a large non-stick skillet (if you don't use a non-stick skillet you may need to add a bit more oil) pan, set over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and cooking and stirring them often, until they’re soft, about 5 minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and continue cooking until they’re crispy, about 5 more minutes.
Next, add the fresh ginger and garlic; cook until softened about 2 minutes.
Pour in the sugar, tomato paste, basil, sambal, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and mix until combined. Pour in the water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes just so all the flavors are married and the sauce thickens slightly.
Meanwhile, to a pot of salted water, cook the paste until al dente. Immediately transfer the noodles to the pan with the sauce and add the butter. Toss until all the noodles are evenly coated in the sauce.
Divide amongst bowls and garnish with basil.
Instead of Mushrooms:
This recipe originally uses ground pork. Feel free to add that in place (or in addition) to the mushrooms. Ground pork, ground chicken, ground beef or ground turkey would all work great.
Non-stick skillet | Silicon Spatula
Serving: 4g | Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 100g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 30mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.4mg