Tuscan Ribollita is a delicious tomato based soup full of beans and vegetables. It's thickened with bread and topped with a small mountain of parmesan cheese.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for topping
- 2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 ribs of celery diced
- 3 small carrots, peeled, ends trimmed and sliced into rounds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (if you don’t like heat, decrease to 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 (15-ounce) can of San Marzano whole or diced tomatoes
- 2 (15-ounce) cans of cannellini beans or great white northern bean
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of lucinato kale, sliced
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 baguette, cut into slices
- 3 ounces finely grated Parmesan-Reggiano
In a medium pot, set over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is warm, add the shallots, celery and carrots. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until softened. Mix in the garlic, along with the crushed red pepper, salt and rosemary and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour in the can of tomatoes, beans and stock. Mix in the kale and bring the soup to a gentle simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the soup’s flavors merry.
Meanwhile, slice up the baguette, place in a pan and top bread with a liberal handful of Parmesan cheese. Transfer to under the broiler until melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Divide the slices of bread amongst soup bowls.
Lastly, stir in the lemon juice and salt to taste (I ended up adding an additional 1/2 teaspoon of salt). And then ladle the soup into each bowl, on top of the bread. Top with more Parmesan. This soup is great heating up. Soup will last up to 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
Calories: 69kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 201mg | Potassium: 34mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 99IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg