Taking A Lil’ Chocolate Break

Chocolate

Have you ever had a psycho boss?

Straight out of college, I got my first big-girl job and was super pumped about being a grown-up with health insurance and a 401-K. What I didn’t plan on, was having a sort of psycho (but very nice!) boss who had trouble managing stress. (Maybe you can relate…?!)

My boss’s stress quickly became my stress (not healthy, btw). To help, we would do something very logical/normal: stress eat chocolate. It would happen pretty much daily, post lunch at around 3pm.

I’m convinced that 3pm is the hardest time of day. It’s right after lunch, lethargic feelings linger, you’re sort of ready for the day to be over…yet you have to push through to get the end of the day. Ugh.

So, we would take a 15 minute break and brew really good green tea and drink it with dark chocolate. Pretty much heaven.

I no longer have a psycho boss, but I still enjoy my late-afternoon breaks. I’ve recently become obsessed with green tea lattes. To make: add about a teaspoon of matcha powder to a saucepan with about 1 cup of milk, and heat until warm. (The green hue is both pretty and scary, eh?!)

I’m so into the combination of this drink with dark chocolate (in this case I ate Ghiradelli’s Intense Dark chocolate which is 86% cacao). Swoon-worthy.

As most of you know, my coffee addition situation is a little scary. I’ve been trying to limit myself to one cup a day, but in times when I’m weak and desperate, I’ll have two cups.

And OMG is coffee amazing with chocolate. It’s a logical pairing. They play off of each other’s flavors so well.

I generally drink my coffee without sugar so I tend to go for a sweeter chocolate and one with nuts. The one pictured is a dark chocolate with hazelnuts throughout called Hazelnut Heaven. The name is very appropriate.

Most nights, especially when I’m tired, I definitely don’t have the energy to make dessert. Maybe it’s a spoonful or two of some ice cream in the freezer. And sometimes it’s a bit of cheese and chocolate. I know some of you might be like, chocolate and cheese?!? Weird! But it’s actually amazing.

This is a gooey cheese similar to brie called D’affinois. It’s creamy, salty and light. With a slightly sweeter dark chocolate (like this Twilight Delight – 72% cacao) its tastes is similar to, say, a chocolate cheesecake.

Add a glass of pinot noir in the mix, give me some trashy TV, and BOOM: end of day relaxation session.

{This post is brought to you by Ghirardelli Intense Dark™ Chocolate}

• Reply Christine October 4, 2012 at 7:46 am

What a great idea! Chocolate, cheese and wine. I love dark chocolate, so I’ll try it in combination with cheese soon. Can you recommend a good wine from the west coast? I’m always looking for something new. I had some Cabarent Sauvignon “Steak House” which you should try soon. I know its not a Pinot noir but I can recommend it. Take care!

• Reply Holly Henderson October 4, 2012 at 7:32 am

OMG! I was eating these yesterday afternoon right around 3pm!!! Not the intense dark, but the squares with various deliciousness inside (raspberry, caramel, etc). Very good pick-me-up for mid-day psychosis (my own, not my boss’s).
    And I think you should give yourself some leeway on the one-cup-of-coffee-a-day rule. Three cups is well within normal. ; )

• Reply Julia | JuliasAlbum.com October 4, 2012 at 12:59 am

I love chocolate, cheese, and a small glass of port. One of my most favorite ways to have a dessert.

• Reply dervla @ The Curator October 3, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Oh my gosh, i have definitely had psycho bosses in the past. Thankfully I have sane ones now. But chocolate is always required in any situation – my savior at 3pm is a cup of heavily sugared earl grey.

• Reply Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen October 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Now that’s what I call the perfect little snack before bed.. well, maybe not the coffee unless it was decaf for me. I agree about the 3-4 pm hour.. my kids used to be crankiest then as well. To this day I try to have a 15 minute nap and then all is right with the world. From now on, I’m adding a piece of chocolate!

• Reply Elisha October 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I’m going to make this my new tradition.. Never thought about pairing chocolate with green tea, but I love them both!! Sounds like a great afternoon pick me up..a little sugar and caffeine 🙂 and antioxidants!! Hey, what is that little thing in the picture? Tea brewer?

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm

It’s a coffee filtration system called a Chemex. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemex_Coffeemaker

They brew a really great, clean cup of coffee. I really really love it. And they’re pretty inexpensive and look beautiful on the kitchen counter!

• Reply Angela October 3, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I am seriously ready to eat the entire vending machine by 3:00pm, I have found myself visiting coworkers because I know they have gum that I can snack on. I try to overload on snacks when I have time to pack my lunch in the morning. Just having extra helps keep away those veracious cravings!!

• Reply Kristin October 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’m at work, drinking coffee, reading this post at precisely 3:00. Spot on, girlfriend.

• Reply Vicky October 3, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I lo e cheese and chocolate also. It is such a great combination of sweet, salty and creamy. I am glad I am not the only one.

• Reply Tv Food and Drink October 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

I can relate. Sometimes when I’m on the phone with my bf he’ll ask what I’m doing and I’ll flatly reply, “eating my feelings.”

Sidebar, 14- minute afternoon dance parties work too. Crank up the music and exert all the energy you can for 14 minutes. Not 15 minutes. 14 minutes.

• Reply Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes October 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

I agree with 3 pm being the hardest part of the work day…I was very unproductive around that time and after 🙂

• Reply Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 3, 2012 at 10:40 am

Oh, I am all to familiar with that type of boss. Thankfully you do not have to deal with that type of personality anymore. I am obsessed with green tea. Actually, tea of any kind. Have you tried Genmaicha green tea? You will be addicted 🙂

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

No but I just did a little googling and it sounds really interesting/delicious. I love brown rice so I can’t imagine me not loving this tea. I must try this soon! Thanks for the recommendation.

• Reply Margarita October 3, 2012 at 10:30 am

my man is out of town… thank you for reminding me that i can enjoy chocolate and tea for dessert. it doesn’t always have to be cookies, a big bowl of ice cream, or slices of chocolate cake. i have never tried green tea with milk! tonight, i will do this! you are awesome!

• Reply Katie @ Blonde Ambition October 3, 2012 at 10:17 am

There’s NOTHING like a glass of red wine and chocolate!

Last night my dessert was a spoonful of peanut butter with a couple of chocolate chips. So simple and yet so perfect!

• Reply Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen October 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hmm…yup, lots of psycho bosses in my past. Sadly none that I’d want to eat chocolate with!