Taking A Lil’ Chocolate Break

Chocolate

Have you ever had a psycho boss?

Straight out of college, I got my first big-girl job and was super pumped about being a grown-up with health insurance and a 401-K. What I didn’t plan on, was having a sort of psycho (but very nice!) boss who had trouble managing stress. (Maybe you can relate…?!)

My boss’s stress quickly became my stress (not healthy, btw). To help, we would do something very logical/normal: stress eat chocolate. It would happen pretty much daily, post lunch at around 3pm.

I’m convinced that 3pm is the hardest time of day. It’s right after lunch, lethargic feelings linger, you’re sort of ready for the day to be over…yet you have to push through to get the end of the day. Ugh.

So, we would take a 15 minute break and brew really good green tea and drink it with dark chocolate. Pretty much heaven.

I no longer have a psycho boss, but I still enjoy my late-afternoon breaks. I’ve recently become obsessed with green tea lattes. To make: add about a teaspoon of matcha powder to a saucepan with about 1 cup of milk, and heat until warm. (The green hue is both pretty and scary, eh?!)

I’m so into the combination of this drink with dark chocolate (in this case I ate Ghiradelli’s Intense Dark chocolate which is 86% cacao). Swoon-worthy.

As most of you know, my coffee addition situation is a little scary. I’ve been trying to limit myself to one cup a day, but in times when I’m weak and desperate, I’ll have two cups.

And OMG is coffee amazing with chocolate. It’s a logical pairing. They play off of each other’s flavors so well.

I generally drink my coffee without sugar so I tend to go for a sweeter chocolate and one with nuts. The one pictured is a dark chocolate with hazelnuts throughout called Hazelnut Heaven. The name is very appropriate.

Most nights, especially when I’m tired, I definitely don’t have the energy to make dessert. Maybe it’s a spoonful or two of some ice cream in the freezer. And sometimes it’s a bit of cheese and chocolate. I know some of you might be like, chocolate and cheese?!? Weird! But it’s actually amazing.

This is a gooey cheese similar to brie called D’affinois. It’s creamy, salty and light. With a slightly sweeter dark chocolate (like this Twilight Delight – 72% cacao) its tastes is similar to, say, a chocolate cheesecake.

Add a glass of pinot noir in the mix, give me some trashy TV, and BOOM: end of day relaxation session.

{This post is brought to you by Ghirardelli Intense Dark™ Chocolate}

• Reply Karen October 3, 2012 at 9:50 am

Loved this post about chocolate! Chocolate and cheese….might have to try that as we just bought various cheeses at a special shop on our vacation. Nothing like a hunk of cold chocolate after every meal!

• Reply Leigh October 3, 2012 at 9:26 am

I had a similar ritual with my first “big girl job” boss – every afternoon after lunch (probably right around 3:00), she’d brew a pot of French-pressed coffee for us to share. It was such a great pick-me-up and I looked forward to it every day!

• Reply Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet October 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ugh, you are making me want to leave work right now and just curl up with some coffee and chocolate. I love to pair a good, creamy goat cheese with dark chocolate…so delicious and rich that you are totally satisfied with just a spoonful of each. Yum.

• Reply robyn October 3, 2012 at 8:27 am

amazeballs. i joked with my friend only today that I need to prepare better threeses-not elevenses – 3pm is when i dip. choc coffee…good plan batman

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

You just said a batman joke and your name is Robyn. I like.

• Reply Lyndsey October 3, 2012 at 8:19 am

My chocolate and cheese craving snuck up on me one day after having a little cheese snack…afterward I just wanted a little piece of chocolate. I thought I was pregnant! It was scary. A couple weeks later I was eating some M&M’s and wanted a piece of cheese afterward. It had a strange balancing act for my taste buds. It probably went on for about a year until I realized it wasn’t that unusual, and while I still might be weird, it can be for different reasons.

Choco cheese, hooray!

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Choco. Cheese. YES.

• Reply Nury October 3, 2012 at 8:10 am

Oh my! chocolate is totally my weakness, this looks amaazing, especially now that our weather has turned so cold from one day to another. Enjoying a cup of hot chocolate, or better, a green tea latte is a must.
    When I was a kid I liked eating cheese along with a piece of chocolate, or a piece of banana, I thought it was delicious.
    Wonderful photos by the way, so warn and inviting.

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Thanks, Nury!

• Reply Yelle Events October 3, 2012 at 7:31 am

I love chocolate, cheese, and wine all separately, but tonight I will join forces and try this combination. I love this post!

• Reply Heidi October 3, 2012 at 6:40 am

I recently discovered how perfect the mix of good dark chocolate, gorgonzola and spicy glass of redwine is. I am seriously thinking about adding something with the flavor of chili to the mix. Chili infused honey perhaps… amazing I am sure!

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I’m allergic to gorgonzola. Such a sad sad thing. Chili and chocolate are pretty awesome together!

• Reply Rachel October 3, 2012 at 6:22 am

Oh my . . . that cheese and chocolate sounds amazing. . . Mmmmmmmm

• Reply Bev @ Bev Cooks October 3, 2012 at 5:36 am

That coffee, cheese and chocolate has me all weepy now.

• Reply cindy October 3, 2012 at 5:27 am

I used to have a boss who cried on the regular, got into shouting matches with her husband complete with the f-bomb, and would bring her dogs into work…and it was a BAKERY.

My husband eats a piece of dark chocolate everyday. Sometimes he even breaks into my baking stash.

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 8:32 pm

HAHA! Oh man. Dogs in a bakery. Hello, health code violation!

• Reply Margherita October 3, 2012 at 4:20 am

Psycho boss…tell me about it. I still have to deal with it daily. Chocolate helps though…

• Reply Wanda October 3, 2012 at 3:59 am

Adrianna, chocolate is my weak point. It’s that treat that makes me the most happiest anytime of the day. Haven’t tasted matcha, but very tempted to. But, coffee, is “a most” for me. Gotta have it, anytime! Love your post!

• Reply Sophie @ The Cake Hunter October 3, 2012 at 1:12 am

I was thinking yesterday about how difficult 3pm is…it’s prime raid the vending machine time and I fall victim to it most days. I try to keep a bag of dark chocolate in my desk as a few squares will satisfy me just enough.

• Reply Lynda October 3, 2012 at 12:50 am

I always have a a nice little break in the afternoon, it’s a great way to reboot yourself and get you through the remainder of the day 🙂

x