Summer Squash Lattice Ricotta Tart

Appetizers, Dinner

Where do you live? I’m not trying to stalk you, promise. It’s just that sometimes I have no idea how far of a reach this little blog has. And since I write this blog in my apartment in Los Angeles, California, and we talk in the comments, via email, on Instagram, etc., etc., my brain just assumes you are all down the street from me. I bet you’re not. You might be really far away, in a place that isn’t currently experiencing a ridiculous heat wave. Lucky you.

A few days ago, when LA decided to be a beautiful 97 degrees F, I stuck my head in the freezer. It was one part melodrama and one part necessity. Mostly melodrama, I think.

As I was in there, with the cold air hitting my face aka heaven, I took a peek around. Lots of frozen corn. Why?! Dunno. Lots of ice cream. Normal. And then there was a single sheet of long forgotten puff pastry. WHOA! YES! Tart time!

This tart begins with mixing filling.

Ricotta, lemon zest, lemon juice, some minced shallots and a good amount of salt and pepper. Easy. Delicious.

The puff pastry gets rolled out. And gets a bit of a trim. I included exact measurements below, but really if it’s a little bit bigger or smaller, no biggie.

Now, you want the edges to be puffy and pillowy, not the center. This is when you score! Take a knife, and create a 1/4-inch border. And then using a fork poke holes in the center.

Okay. So, if you don’t want to lattice the squash and zucchini ribbons, not a big deal. You can simply set them side by side.

If you’re in the mood to lattice, then you just lay the zucchini side by side. And then weave the squash slices under and over.

This is not a perfect lattice. If you look carefully at the picture below it is not perfection. Yellow squash are wonky sizes! It’s just the reality of nature, you know. So you may have to nip and tuck a few of the slices. Don’t worry, it’ll still look pretty, guaranteed.

If you need more of a visual to lattice, this YouTube video is pretty helpful.

Also, if the zucchini and squash go past the ricotta/border, don’t worry. The zucchini and squash will definitely experience a little shrinkage in the oven.

Bake for 10 or so minutes and boom! Summer prettiness. Lattice everything!

Now, back to my first question: where do you live? Are you my neighbor? Because I will definitely let you borrow a cup of sugar…and will share stuff like this tart, too. Duh.

Summer Squash Ricotta Tart

Ricotta Filling:
1/2 cup ricotta
1/2 shallot, minced
Zest and juice from 1/2 of a lemon
Salt and pepper

Tart:
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, slightly thawed
1 medium zucchini
2 yellow squash
1 large egg, plus a teaspoon of milk (for egg wash)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.

2. In a small bowl, add the ricotta, minced shallot, zest and juice from the 1/2 of a lemon. Save the other half for lemonade–it’s summer! Add salt and pepper to taste. I added about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a few cracks of freshly ground pepper. Set this aside, too.

3. Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler (I used this vegetable peeler – only $4!), thinly slice 1 zucchini and both of the yellow squash. I found that not every slice was usable. There were definitely a handful of slices that came out all messed up and scraggely. No biggie – just save the scraps and add them to your morning eggs.

4. Roll out the slightly thawed out frozen puff pastry to about 1/16 inch thickness. Trim the edges so you have a rectangle. Mine measured about 8 1/2″ x 10″.

5. You don’t want the puff pastry’s center to puff up, only the border. So, take a paring knife and score a 1/4-inch border; and then, using a fork, score the center of the puff pastry.

6. Add a few tablespoons of ricotta mixture to the center of the puff pastry, pushing it out to the sides and stopping just before you reach the outline you just made. Add a bit more ricotta until it’s about 1/4-inch thick.

7. Lay slices of zucchini side by side. Using the yellow squash, weave a lattice pattern over and under the zucchini. Depending how long the zucchini ribbons are, you may need to make a second layer, below the first. Repeat laying the zucchini slices side by side and weaving the slices of yellow squash underneath and over the zucchini slices. The zucchini and squash will shrink a little in the oven so it’s okay to have a little excess zucchini/squash hitting the border. Brush the border with the egg wash and transfer to the preheated oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and slice. It’s delicious served warm or room temperature.

Inspiration from Martha Stewart

• Reply Chelsey August 13, 2012 at 5:35 am

Vancouver, Canada. We’ve got the heat wave and tons of really cool lightening storms. Looks beautiful and delish! Love your blog! Keep ’em coming.

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Growing up in South Florida I know lightening storms well! They’re scary and beautiful all at the same time!

• Reply Johanna Molander August 13, 2012 at 5:23 am

Sweden! 🙂

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh I have so many family friends in Sweden. My parents visit all the time. They love it so much.

• Reply Jen August 13, 2012 at 5:16 am

St. Petersburg, Russia! And we are NOT experiencing the heat wave that the US is suffering from this summer – only 8-10 days above 70F this summer :(. Love your blog & have been enjoying trying the recipes (although often have to substitute based on what I can find in the markets)

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

WOW WOW WOW! I wish I could send you some of our warm weather. Thank you for being here, Jen! YAY!

• Reply Wee Ling August 13, 2012 at 5:04 am

Greetings from Pahang, Malaysia! It’s hot all year round except for end of November and December. That’s the monsoon season when it can rain continuously for 3 to 4 days, sunshine for a few days and rain again.

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Malaysia! I had no idea. Thanks for being here, Wee Ling! xx

• Reply Jayne August 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m from Malaysia too. *waves* But from the state of Selangor, very near the capital called Kuala Lumpur. It’s been soooo hot these days. I’m munching on chilled watermelons like there’s no tomorrow.

• Reply Zoe August 13, 2012 at 4:56 am

Townsville, Australia! (It’s a city in Queensland, next to the Great Barrier reef) 🙂

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm

It sounds like you live in the most beautiful place ever!

• Reply Ruby August 15, 2012 at 5:02 am

Freaky! I’m from Cairns, Australia! We’re pretty much neighbours!

• Reply Györgyi August 13, 2012 at 4:55 am

I wish I was your neighbor more than ever! 🙂
    /wave from Budapest, Hungary! 🙂

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Waving back! Thanks for being here!

• Reply Diana August 30, 2012 at 12:19 pm

“I’m waving from Hungary too” 🙂
        and trying this out tomorrow 🙂 thanks

• Reply Kristin August 13, 2012 at 4:48 am

Kansas City, Missouri. It’s too hot here too. Ugh. Thank goodness we have the friendliest people of anywhere I’ve lived, or I’d be wanting to move.

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Oh I’ve been to Kansas City. You are correct, every one is really friendly. Love that.

• Reply Amber August 13, 2012 at 4:33 am

i live in Australia! love your blog, its so beautiful and inspiring! x

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:11 pm

AMBER! Australia! Amazing. Grateful you’re here.

• Reply Jessica @ How Sweet August 13, 2012 at 4:14 am

could this be any more gorgeous?! omg i love it.

• Reply Hannah-lyz August 13, 2012 at 4:03 am

Oooh this looks so pretty! My fiance doesn’t like courgette (zuchinni) so.. more for me!
    I’m from Wales! Across the pond! Our version of a heat wave is a week where it only rains half the time 😛 Air conditioning is pretty unheard of over here, instead, it’s a radiator in every room and big jumpers. Oh, and umbrellas. Lots of umbrellas.

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Wales sounds beautiful! I have a pair of Wellies for rainy weather that I never ever wear! Thank you for being here, Hannah! Much love to you!

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar August 13, 2012 at 3:36 am

Love how simple this is! And it looks delicious too 🙂

• Reply Marta August 13, 2012 at 3:23 am

Barcelona, Spain here! I am an absolute fan of your blog and have already put into practice several of your recipes. Your kitchen as well as your blog are cozy indeed. So i always com back your place when i lack inspiration or when i simply want to delight my eyes.

If you ever come around you shouldn’t miss the Catalan famous bread “Pa amb tomàquet”, the “Allioli” or “Fideuà”.

Btw, this recipe looks so good… off to try it! 😀

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

España! My favorite country ever! I went as a teenager and fell in love. I need to go back as an adult and eat and eat. The most beautiful country ever with really beautiful people. I will absolutely take your recommendations and be sure to eat the dishes you speak of. XO

• Reply Neta August 13, 2012 at 3:11 am

Hi ! Been reading your blog for a few months now, love it! I am in Israel, and can’t really call what we are having a “wave”, as summer is constantly hot and humid where i live. There is no cool days at all. Waiting for October for it to start cooling a bit 🙂

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I want to go to Israel and eat and eat and explore. Thank you being here! Wishing you cool weather. xo

• Reply Tessa @ Girl with a Teacup August 13, 2012 at 3:05 am

Hiiii! I’ve been reading your blog for a couple of months and I’m from Cape Town, South Africa 🙂

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Cape Town, South Africa?!?! Gorgeous. So glad you’re here. xo

• Reply Ana August 13, 2012 at 2:54 am

Nope. Not neighbors. I live in Venice. The islands in the lagoon, not the ocean one. That’s when it’s not hot. When it is, we live in the Dolomites. Which means now, cause even Italy is going through scary heat waves with like 95% humidity most mornings… Anyhow, in the mtns the weather is awesome. Can even wear a sweater for some hikes… Come see us if you want to share in the cooking 🙂
    Found you a few months ago. Love your blog! Have enjoyed not just a few of your recipes… Hope you continue enjoying it

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm

WOW. It sounds like you live in the most beautiful place ever. Thank you for coming to ACK. Truly.

1 2 3 10