Spicy Buttery Steamed Mussels (for two!)

Dinner

There are times when I share recipes with you that I know very good and well require multiple steps (hello ding dongs!), a few ingredients that are a little pricey (wassup Arroz con Pollo), and some technique that might be unfamiliar (heeyyy French Omelet). Challenges are cool, but sometimes you just want something to be easy, delicious, brainless. I get it. This dish costs around $10 and takes maybe, like, 15 minutes to whip up. Too easy!

Valentine’s Day lands on a Tuesday this year, which means some of you might be coming home from work and you might be a little tired. This is what you should make. This is it!

On another note, if you’re a single lady on Valentine’s Day this year, you should make this too. I mean, I ate it all by myself while standing over the stove, so I dunno, there’s no shame.

And honestly, if you want to take to the comments to tell me how much you hate Valentine’s Day that’s cool, too. I’m here to support you…

Actually, if you tell me you hate it, I might love you more.

It’s not that I’m a Valentine’s Day hater, per se; I can just be pretty apathetic about stuff like this. I dunno. I think sometimes I should care more. Sometimes I think my girly-gene was never given to me…

Whatever. This dish is delicious and easy regardless of your relationship and V-Day sentiments, okay? Trust me on this.

It starts with mussels. Soak ’em with some water and flour. This’ll release the sand. Then there’s a good amount of butter, shallots, garlic, Italian parsley and white wine. Those things are combined to create a broth thing that you might want to bathe in. That’s cool. This is normal.

You add the mussels and allow ’em to steam for a few minutes. AND THAT’S IT.

On another more sentimental, girly, Valentine-sy note, I’d like to let you know that this blog has been a serious love of mine for the past few years. You visiting it daily, weekly, monthly, and leaving comments and sending me emails, mean the world to me. So, thank you.

Alright, enough with the sappy shiz. I’m gonna go eat some gross conversation candy now.

xoxo

Adrianna

Spicy Buttery Steamed Mussels

1 pound mussels
2 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced and divided
1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (scale it back to 1 teaspoon if you’re adverse to spicy)
1 cup dry white wine
Salt

1. Place the mussels in a bowl and cover them with cold water. Mix in the two tablespoons of flour and allow to stand for 30 minutes. This will allow the mussels to release any sand. Next, drain the mussels and pull the “beards” off. If the mussels are dirty, scrub them, removing any dirt and be sure to discard any that aren’t tightly shut.

2. In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the shallots and garlic; cook for 3-4 minutes and until translucent. Add 2 tablespoons of Italian parsley, crushed red pepper and white wine. Bring to a simmer, reducing liquid for 5-7 minutes.

3. Transfer clean mussels to the pot and cover with a lid, steaming them for 2-3 minutes. Holding the lid down, give the pot a shake one or two times; this will make sure the mussels at the bottom don’t burn. You’ll know when the mussels are done when they’re all open, throwing away any that refuse to open. Scoop mussels into two separate bowls, and ladle liquid over each bowl. Serve with bread. BOOM.

• Reply Joss February 14, 2012 at 7:02 am

I have never been a fan of mussels πŸ™ I love your photography though πŸ™‚

• Reply ileana February 14, 2012 at 6:48 am

Not usually a big fan of mussels, but you make these look good!

• Reply Allyn February 14, 2012 at 6:45 am

Mussels might just be one of my favorite foods of all time. This one restaurant we love had a beer steamed mussel dish last year that I think would be my choice for my last meal on earth. Soooooo good.
    Will totally be giving this a try!

• Reply Margarita February 14, 2012 at 6:35 am

This is how mussels should be cooked. Just perfect!

• Reply Terri A. February 14, 2012 at 4:55 am

I don’t hate Valentines Day, but I don’t really get it – really? One day a year to show your love? Odd. I’m missing the girly-girl gene, too. On the other hand – these mussels look so good!

• Reply Bev Weidner February 14, 2012 at 4:43 am

This. Is. My. Favorite. Meal. Of. All. Time.

Happy Balemtime’s!

• Reply Anna @ the shady pine February 14, 2012 at 2:53 am

I order mussels a lot when we are out but don’t tend to cook them at home. Why not you ask? Well there is no good reason I can think of so now that I have this recipe I will be getting on and trying it….looks delicious!

• Reply Mike February 13, 2012 at 11:02 pm

That’s a very French-y recipe…awesome though!

• Reply Danni February 13, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Wow… these look totally yummy. Always been a bit scared to cook mussels at home but maybe it’s time to give it a go!

• Reply Nina @ ambrosia February 13, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I don’t really like Valentine’s Day either, but I really do love mussels! This dish looks fabulous.

• Reply Kiran @ KiranTarun.com February 13, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Mussels is something I need to try — like ASAP. That looks yummy πŸ˜€

• Reply Natashia@foodonpaper February 13, 2012 at 9:45 pm

I hate valentines day and so does my boyfriend. My hate comes from years of being single and feeling like the odd one out. I do however like the whole excuse to bake and make something pretty in pink, then pig out on it πŸ™‚

• Reply Rachel February 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I love Valentine’s day because, as a teacher, it is the last holiday I can actually celebrate with my students! We can have a party and actually say, “Happy Valentine’s Day!”

• Reply Adrianna February 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

HA. I love this.

• Reply Heather (Heather's Dish) February 13, 2012 at 9:20 pm

girl, let’s be honest…you had me at buttery. just about anything you said after that i would’ve taken πŸ™‚

• Reply Mary @ Bake Break February 13, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Adrianna, have you seen your fingernails? Clearly you have a girly-gene. I’m jealous of your girly-gene when it comes to fingernails, really.

Also, I love that you ended the recipe with a BOOM. I say that way too much. It just gets the job done!

• Reply Taryn February 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

I say BOOM to end things all the time too! Left over from working with some friends that said it whenever we accomplished a task.

• Reply Adrianna February 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Mary, you’re right. I have a serious love for nail polish and I’m not sure if it gets girlier. UGH!

1 2 3