S’mores Pudding

Chocolate, Desserts

Hey! What kind of real life stuff you got going on this weekend?

Are you about to go on adventure? To a new restaurant? To a new town? Maybe with someone that’ll make you laugh… and make the whole thing that much better…

Are you about to watch your little youngin’ figure out how to put one foot in front of the other? Are you on that tip? That’s some beautiful stuff right there.

Are you planning a night out with your best friend to drink pink wine, talk about boys, tell inappropriate jokes and plan all the fall shoes you’re gonna buy?!

Are you about to watch another human eat a peach for the first time in their lives? This is gorgeous.

Or are you figuring out how you’re gonna make your horrid depressing dorm room cute?!

P.S. I went with the “minimalist” look and spent the rest on liquor that I hid in my ceiling. This is true.

I wanna know what’s going on. Mainly because I’m nosy.

Also, because I love real life talk…and we’re in the thick of it.

Can I tell you how to make all this good stuff slightly better?

I mean, I’m weary to promise big things…but this pudding…is super legit.

S’mores in pudding form.

There’s your usual pudding stuff. Sugar (I was out of white). Cornstarch. Cocoa powder. And there’s milk that goes over that…and then you whisk. And whisk. Until it’s all thick and beautiful.

When it’s done you’re gonna wanna transfer it into a bowl. If you’re like me than all your glass bowls are in your fridge with various batters, frostings, etc. So you can always use a gigantic measuring cup.

I won’t judge you, obviously.

And then if you have a kitchen where saran wrap doesn’t exist, you can always just cut a sandwich bag in half and use that instead. This is what a makeshift pudding skin eliminator looks like.

P.S. Pudding skin is what vomit dreams are made of. Did you know some people love it?!

If you’re one of these people, please say hi. I wanna know you. You need to explain…I want to get it/you.

When your pudding is all nice and cold, it’s assembly time! Little marshmallows. Big marshmallows.

And beat up graham crackers.

A small handful of graham cracker crumbs. A couple spoonfuls of pudding. More graham crackers. More pudding. And then marshamallows.

Grab a torch. If you don’t have one, you could always roast a few big marshmallows on a fork over a gas range and place them right on top.

Life and pudding.

Not sure if it can get much better.

S’mores Pudding

Pudding recipe tweaked and doubled from Gourmet

Print recipe!

Yields 4 Small Jars

Chocolate Pudding:
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

S’mores Pudding:
1 packet of Graham crackers, crushed (about 7-8 crackers)
4 large marshmallows
2 handfuls of small marshmallows

Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and a pinch of salt in a 3-quart heavy saucepan, then gradually whisk in milk and cream. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat, whisking constantly, then boil, whisking, 2 minutes. (Mixture will be thick.) Remove from heat. Whisk in chocolate and vanilla until smooth.

Transfer to a bowl to chill pudding. Cover its surface with wax paper, or plastic (to prevent a skin from forming), and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.

To assemble, layer the bottom of a jar or ramekin with a small handful of graham crackers. Top with two heaping tablespoons of chocolate pudding. Add one more layer of graham cracker crumbles. Top with a few more tablespoons of chocolate pudding. Then top with marshmallows and torch until golden brown. If you don’t have a hand torch, the alternative is to toast marshmallows on a fork over your range and place on top.

Note: Be sure to assemble just before serving, as the graham crackers will get soggy from the pudding.

• Reply Bev Weidner August 19, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I just fell down. i.n. l.o.v.e.

• Reply Travelingthispath August 19, 2011 at 5:22 pm

OMG, this looks delicious! I can’t wait to have friends over and have this be the fabulous dessert I serve!

• Reply Anna! August 19, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Sigh…I frequently wish I had a hand torch. If you have no electric torch and an electric range, an unscented candle will do the trick. Just don’t hold it too close to the flame!

• Reply Adrianna August 20, 2011 at 6:05 am

Unscented candle?! I like how you think. Crafty.

• Reply lynn @ the actor's diet August 19, 2011 at 4:20 pm

this seems so logical, and yet, i’ve never heard of it before!!!

• Reply David August 19, 2011 at 4:18 pm

I like pudding skin, I don’t know why. It sounds gross just to say it, but it’s super yummy, guess it’s just a texture thing.

• Reply Russell August 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Mmm, looks awesome! Where’d you get those jars? I love those

• Reply Adrianna August 20, 2011 at 6:04 am

I got ’em at Sur La Table. But can’t find them on their site. I’ll try and dig around–they surely must sell them somewhere on the internets.

• Reply Erin August 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I am going to a wedding. And I’m hoping this is what they serve for dessert. If not I should pack it in my purse.

• Reply Maria August 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I love that you put these in little jars. So cute!

My mom used to make pudding all the time when I was little, and my dad and I loved the skin. We used to fight over the ones without the saran wrap. I think it’s a texture thing for those who don’t like it, since it still tastes delicious and chocolate-y. I’m not sure if I like the consistency, the fact that my dad fought me for it, or maybe the nostalgia πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna August 20, 2011 at 6:04 am

I love this. You make me understand…a little.

• Reply fashionablecollections August 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Wow that looks incredible.

Fashionable Collections

• Reply J @ ... semplicemente j ... August 19, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Love the presentation of the pudding … complimenti!

• Reply Chris @ TheKeenanCookBook August 19, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I am loving the smores recipes all us foodies have been posting lately (self promo, I just made smore cookies :P) – Love the way this recipe looks. WANT to eat it now.

My weekend plans? An end of summer (really?) bbq with some friends I haven’t seen in quite awhile, where I will consume too much delicious food. Hope you have a great weekend!

• Reply Caitlin August 19, 2011 at 11:55 am

WOW!
    I am sooo ganna try this S’mores Pudding this weekend
    Looks totally delectable…

• Reply Jessica @ How Sweet August 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

you have got to be kidding me. oh em gee.

• Reply Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 19, 2011 at 9:45 am

This looks…amazing!!!

And it’s been far too long since I actually clicked off my reader and read your blog from your blog and just wanna say your new-to-me layout is…amazing!!!

Who helped you, I need details!!! It’s so gorgeous and I could use some bloggie help!

• Reply Adrianna August 20, 2011 at 6:03 am

My friend Teri Lyn Fisher! She’s amazing.

• Reply Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 22, 2011 at 8:05 am

I think I found her on google but if you have an email address for her, drop me a line on email…lovin’ the work she did for you πŸ™‚

• Reply Maria B. August 19, 2011 at 9:26 am

I am going to help my best friend move this weekend. Away, far far away from where I live πŸ™
    It’s a happy and a sad occasion at the same time. So this pudding will be perfect to help sooth the sadness and make us all happy.
    What are you up to this lovely weekend? Whatever it is, I hope you have a great time doing it.