Salty Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cookies, Desserts

You guys…I’m an adult now. I’ve been an official adult for some time now, but yesterday, as I was driving down the street, it dawned on me that the past few months have been revelatory. I’ve changed. I’ve grown up. The evidence is evident. And here it is:

1. I have a Christmas tree in my living room. Every year, pre this one, I’ve felt no need to get a Christmas tree because I’d usually just enjoy my family’s tree. But this year…I bought one for myself, to enjoy by myself. Whoa.

2. I picked a color palette for Christmas. I’m using the same color for my tree, wreath and Christmas gift-wrapping. Yes, my friends…a Christmas color pallete. Who am I?! (It’s white, silver and wood-colored, in case you’re curious.)

3. As I was driving last night, I saw three very lovely (and probably very smart) girls walking down the street in heels so high and dresses so short and tight that I thought: A. I might see their privates any second. B. They might fall down and I might laugh, like, a lot. I shook my head. I wished their mothers could see them. And then I just felt old.

4. Yesterday I took the ice cube tray out of the freezer, used up all the ice and then did something I never do: I filled it up with water and returned it back to the freezer. Ahhh…adulthood!

But then I ate three slices of lemon tart for dinner while standing in my kitchen. And I was doing so well…

Cookies. Let’s talk about cookies that belong in your arsenal.

This is a famous chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Maybe the most famous, next to Alton’s Brown and Nestle’s.

I’ve tried all three of these recipes and Alton Brown’s used to be my favorite. Nestle’s is cool, but not as awesome.

But Jacques Torres’s recipe is just perfect.

I added whole wheat pastry flour in the mix to give it a touch of nuttiness. I dig it.

And I added a tad bit more salt than what the original recipe called for, but for the most part this recipe is flawless.

It needs no revamp. It needs no makeover.

It’s the chocolate chip cookie we should all be making for Santa a.k.a. ourselves.

Salty Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 2/3 cup bread flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
16 ounces chopped dark chocolate (at least 60% cacao content)
Sea salt for garnish

1. Sift whole wheat pastry flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

4. Scoop 6 2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of a golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat them .

Yields 18 Cookies; Recipe tweaked from Jacques Torres

• Reply idebenone January 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

This delicious recipe for Jacques Torres’s secret chocolate chip cookies is one of Martha’s all-time favorites.

• Reply Holli Anne December 14, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I am new to your blog, and so first I should just say hi to you all! And secondly, those cookies look AMAZING. I’m going to pin them for a chocolate chip cookie kind of day in the future.

• Reply Rayna December 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm

These look perfect! I am always looking for another good chocolate chip cookie recipe and this seems like a clear winner {dark chocolate & sea salt are perfect together}. Once I get some down time from the holidays and school I’m making a batch of these cookies!

• Reply Nadette@Sin Mayonesa Por Favor December 11, 2012 at 6:53 am

*cookie monster voice* Cookies!!! I can feel the fatness creep in as I see my future self inhaling half a batch of these before my guests even arrive. Ah well, ’tis the season!

• Reply Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen December 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I figured out I was an adult when I spend more time cleaning up after other people than myself.

I’ve made this recipe before (not your exact version) and I agree that it’s the best! I’ll have to try your changes….

• Reply Christina @ The Beautiful Balance December 10, 2012 at 11:44 am

You can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes and these little pillowy dough balls will be added to my collection.

Regardless of age or how you feel, you are pretty fabulous πŸ˜‰

• Reply Itzy December 10, 2012 at 4:01 am

Oh!, no! you have modified your feeds and now it’s not possible to fully read your post on Reader.. πŸ™
    I really like your blog and for me it’s easier to flip trhough my favorite blogs using reader….
    Oh, well……

• Reply Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs December 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’ve searched and searched for a good whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe. This one looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

• Reply Cass @foodmyfriend December 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm

LOL I do all of those things. I’ve been old for a while now though. I’m only 23 but I am far more sensible than any person should be. Your cookies look amazing and is that hot gooey choc chips in the centre? I want them for breakfast!

• Reply Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking December 9, 2012 at 10:57 am

Cake for dinner is so adult! I don’t know a single kid that could pull that one off. I am for sure adding these to my holiday cookie arsenal!

• Reply Sarah December 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Cookies at christmas are what makes you a real adult. Making cookies. Distributing cookies. Not eating all of your mom’s cookies, but eating most of your own cookies. It’s a complex situation.

• Reply Julia December 8, 2012 at 3:54 pm

These cookies look amazing! I love dark chocolate so that is a great idea!

• Reply Erica @ Abbie and Erica's Adventures December 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm

These sounds amazing! I’ve been hooked on chocolaty/salty combos for some time. Beautiful blog by the way!

• Reply Jayne December 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Your socks in that picture! Priceless. There’s still some child in you. πŸ™‚ I want to make this tonight. Like really. Tonight. Printing recipe now!!

• Reply Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Oh my goodness these look good. I want some cookies now!

• 1 2 3 4