Salty Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cookies, Desserts

You guys…I’m an adult now. I’ve been an official adult for some time now, but yesterday, as I was driving down the street, it dawned on me that the past few months have been revelatory. I’ve changed. I’ve grown up. The evidence is evident. And here it is:

1. I have a Christmas tree in my living room. Every year, pre this one, I’ve felt no need to get a Christmas tree because I’d usually just enjoy my family’s tree. But this year…I bought one for myself, to enjoy by myself. Whoa.

2. I picked a color palette for Christmas. I’m using the same color for my tree, wreath and Christmas gift-wrapping. Yes, my friends…a Christmas color pallete. Who am I?! (It’s white, silver and wood-colored, in case you’re curious.)

3. As I was driving last night, I saw three very lovely (and probably very smart) girls walking down the street in heels so high and dresses so short and tight that I thought: A. I might see their privates any second. B. They might fall down and I might laugh, like, a lot. I shook my head. I wished their mothers could see them. And then I just felt old.

4. Yesterday I took the ice cube tray out of the freezer, used up all the ice and then did something I never do: I filled it up with water and returned it back to the freezer. Ahhh…adulthood!

But then I ate three slices of lemon tart for dinner while standing in my kitchen. And I was doing so well…

Cookies. Let’s talk about cookies that belong in your arsenal.

This is a famous chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Maybe the most famous, next to Alton’s Brown and Nestle’s.

I’ve tried all three of these recipes and Alton Brown’s used to be my favorite. Nestle’s is cool, but not as awesome.

But Jacques Torres’s recipe is just perfect.

I added whole wheat pastry flour in the mix to give it a touch of nuttiness. I dig it.

And I added a tad bit more salt than what the original recipe called for, but for the most part this recipe is flawless.

It needs no revamp. It needs no makeover.

It’s the chocolate chip cookie we should all be making for Santa a.k.a. ourselves.

Salty Dark Chocolate Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 2/3 cup bread flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons, granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
16 ounces chopped dark chocolate (at least 60% cacao content)
Sea salt for garnish

1. Sift whole wheat pastry flour, bread flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

2. Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 hours. Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

3. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

4. Scoop 6 2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of a golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 15 to 18 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat them .

Yields 18 Cookies; Recipe tweaked from Jacques Torres

• Reply cindy December 7, 2012 at 7:48 am

in my opinion, one can never have too many chocolate chip cookie recipes in the arsenal.

• Reply christin December 7, 2012 at 7:45 am

you’re killing me. seriously you are.

• Reply loryn December 7, 2012 at 7:35 am

great post!! making these over the weekend, for sure. Where can I get some of those beautiful boards of yours?

• Reply Adrianna December 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

I got these at Michael’s! Super cheap, too.

• Reply Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough December 7, 2012 at 7:08 am

I want to nestle in right next to these cookies from now until Christmas.

Also, I totally agree with the ice cube tray thing! Except I do that, but then I put the empty water jug back in the fridge. #cantstopwontstop

• Reply Adrianna December 7, 2012 at 10:25 am

Ha. The brita container always goes in empty!

• Reply Mandie @ Oh So Decadent December 7, 2012 at 7:06 am

These cookies look phenom! And Jacques Torres could make anything taste good, so I’m sure these cookies not only look amazing, but taste just as wonderful!

• Reply brandi December 7, 2012 at 6:19 am

I always feel like such an adult when I refill the soap dispensers. every time!

i could eat all of these cookies. i love huge chocolate chunks like that.

• Reply DessertForTwo December 7, 2012 at 6:17 am

Once you’ve realized you’re a grownup, is there any way to reverse it? I’m struggling with this lol

• Reply Adrianna December 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

Me too me too. Pretty sure there is. Just eat cake for dinner.

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar December 7, 2012 at 5:37 am

Mmm lots of goodness packed in these!

• Reply Kate December 7, 2012 at 5:12 am

These cookies look great! Could they be made with margarine instead of butter? I’m a butter-lover myself, but I’m baking for a friend who can’t handle it and prefers margarine.

• Reply Adrianna December 7, 2012 at 10:36 am

Oh I never bake with margarine so I’m not totally positive, but I did a little online research and margarine should work as a swap-in just fine. Good luck!

• Reply Megan December 7, 2012 at 5:08 am

I’m pretty sure we’re about the same age, and you are not alone! Last year was my first year of making an effort with a normal sized tree (I had a very mini one the year before that). Although I still decorate it like when I was a kid with multi-colour lights and ornaments as random as can be. (For instance: http://instagram.com/p/SympNEK23Y/) I love your owl ornaments – I want!

I was actually stranded in London at the last minute this year and couldn’t go home to Florida, so had to make Thanksgiving all by myself. That was the REAL test of being a grown up! (Of course, I don’t have a proper table, so we had to eat around a coffee table with plates in our laps, baby steps.) I made your cauliflower and brussels sprouts gratin, it was a huge hit: http://instagram.com/p/SWEa0-q2yU/

And yes, I always shake my head at scantily clad teenagers. Especially because here in London they are often dressed like that in freezing weather. It’s insane!

• Reply Adrianna December 7, 2012 at 10:38 am

HAHA! Those Star Wars ornaments just made my morning. THANKS! And so glad that recipe worked out for you. I love that one! YOU COOL.

• Reply Megan December 11, 2012 at 5:08 am

Thanks: Update, I totally found an owl ornament similar to yours. I also found one that is way too big and fluffy for my tree, but I’m forcing him on there anyway. I have to stop myself there, though. My bestie is obsessed with owls and her house is turning into an owlery (is that a real thing or just from Harry Potter?) Anyway, it’s hard not to just buy everything you see that fits a theme!

• Reply Blog is the New Black December 7, 2012 at 4:54 am

Love adding salt to cookies- sounds amazing!

• Reply Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) December 7, 2012 at 3:40 am

These look delicious! Salt is such a powerful ingredient, it always amazes me what it can transform food into (or not into–if its not in it).

I love your list! I have to say, I haven’t reached the point where I buy my own Christmas tree, but I have those same thoughts when I see similar girls out! Can’t promise that I’ll fill the ice tray though. I swear I never realized how useful an ice maker was until I didn’t have one!

• Reply thecitygourmand December 7, 2012 at 3:37 am

The whole wheat probably offsets about one chocolate chip….doh!

• Reply this is lemonade December 7, 2012 at 2:49 am

You garnish your cookies with salt, that’s the real giveaway that you’re an adult πŸ™‚ Very sophisticated cookies, so classic and moorish looking. Lemon tart for dinner one day, cookies the next…ahhhh still a young adult, me too πŸ˜‰

• Reply Margherita December 7, 2012 at 1:53 am

Haha! The real cue that you’re an adult it’s definitely the ice cube tray.There’s no denying that…the moment you take it out of the freezer, fill it with water and put it back, that’s when you know that you have – unmistakably – grown up.

• Reply Adrianna December 7, 2012 at 10:39 am