I’ve decided that this is a great time to re-watch all of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and OMG the first and second season DO NOT DISAPPOINT. It’s a nice reminder how mean Camille was and how Brandi was super crazy even in the beginning. If you’ve been searching for something to watch while you do laundry/cook/clean, etc. it’s a fun thing to re-watch.
On Wednesday I’ll be posting a huge spring brunch situation that I shot last week with my partner-in-crime, Mr. Billy Green. Today I wanted to share one of the recipes that’s on the table, these Chocolate Rye Muffins with Strawberry Butter with Pink Peppercorns.
I’ve actually never had rye flour with chocolate and man, it’s such a good combo. I’ve been wanting to try rye chocolate brownies (can’t remember where I saw them?). Think nutty with chocolate. Makes sense.
The strawberry butter tastes SO good with pink peppercorns all ground up in it. It’s floral and sweet and tangy. Love it. And I thought it might be a weird combo with the muffins but when I tried it all together, it worked great.
I can’t wait to show you the rest of the brunch! I’ve been thinking about doing more entertaining-type shoots on this here blog because they’re so fun to put together and it means I have a legitimate excuse to buy tons of flowers, which I already do anyway.
Rye Chocolate Streusel Muffins with Strawberry Pink Peppercorn ButterPrint
Streusel for Muffins:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
Rye Chocolate Muffins:
- 1 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate chips or chunks
Strawberry Butter with Pink Peppercorns
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pink peppercorns, plus more for garnish
- To make the streusel topping for the muffins: To a small bowl, add the butter, sugars, spices, salt and flour. Mix with your hands until clumpy. Set aside.
- To make the muffins: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place 9 muffin liners in your muffin pan.
- To a large bowl, whisk together the rye flour, all-purpose, brown sugar, white sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a 2 cup measuring cup or medium bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla extract. Create a well in the dry ingredients and in one batch, pour the milk and egg mixture. Mix just until you no longer see any flecks of flour. Be sure to not overmix (this will overdevelop the gluten and create tough muffins). Fill the 10 muffin liners about 3/4 of the way full with batter. Sprinkle the tops with the streusel, adding a bit more than you think you should add.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, rotating them at the 7-minute mark, until a skewer when inserted into the centers comes out clean. Cool the muffins in their tin for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack.
- To make the strawberry butter, add the strawberries and sugar to a small saucepan, set over medium-low heat. Cook until the strawberries have softened and release its juices and a syrup forms, about 3 to 4 minutes. Run the mixture through a strainer, discarding any pulp. In the bowl of a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment, add the butter, 2 tablespoons of strawberry syrup, salt and freshly ground pink peppercorns. Mix until completely incorporated. Serve alongside the muffins