Roasted Red Pepper Burrata Crostini

Uncategorized

Are you familiar with the coonhound Maddie? She stands on things. That’s all. She’s famous because she stands on things. But not just any things, but more like everything. She stands between two refrigerator doors, she stands on a basketball hoop (!!), she stands on the McDonald’s “M”, and sometimes she just sleeps…and looks totally adorable while doing so. I might be a little obsessed. Just a little.

I realized this yesterday when I was walking, talking and gushing to a friend all about Maddie…like I knew her. I’m totally emotionally invested in this creature I’ve never petted, seen or met in real life. The internet is SO WEIRD. So weird…and kewl.

I urge you to hop over to Maddie’s world and just stare at how awesome she is. And then come back because I have burrata which is–in my opinion–just as obsession-worthy as Maddie.

I loooove eating appetizers for a main meal.

These are a recreation of what I had the other day at my favorite LA coffee shop, Coffee Commissary. I literally changed nothing because the crostini was absolutely perfect.

I mean…there’s burrata. The end.

These crostinis are super easy, obvi, but there are a few steps like charring and then roasting the peppers. Super easy and it doesn’t take long. Then there’s the balsamic reduction, which just needs to heat up a bit to thicken. And the toasting of the pine nuts. So necessary. And the toasting of the bread. Double necessary.

The crunchy toasted bread acts is so lovely with the soft, rich burrata. And the roasted, slightly charred red peppers…whoa! I know pine nuts are expensive/annoying so I urge you to take a trip to Whole Foods where you can buy them in the bulk bin. You might spend $1 versus the usual $12 they are for a bag. This recipe is a good amount of little steps. But all so so worth it.

Roasted Red Pepper Burrata Crostini

1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 loaf of French bread, sliced into 1 1/2-inch pieces
6 ounces burrata
1 bunch fresh Italian basil, sliced (a.k.a. chiffoned)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in a pan for 1-2 minutes

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the red and yellow pepper on the grates of your gas stove. Turn the flame on medium, rotating the peppers every few 30 seconds or so, until the peppers are lightly charred. Carefully transfer the peppers to a cutting board, and using a knife, cut them into strips, discarding the membrane and stem. Place the pepper strips on a lined baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Transfer peppers to the oven for 15 minutes, until the strips are slightly soft.

2. Meanwhile, add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5-7 minutes, and until it begins to thicken. Take off the heat and transfer to a small bowl–it’ll thicken a bit more as it sits.

3. Heat a grill pan over high heat and brush it liberally with olive oil. (If you don’t have a grill pan, you can simply use a skillet–the bread will still toast.) When hot, add the bread and toast on each side for about 1 minute or so, pressing each side down onto the grill in order to achieve those pretty grill marks.

4. To assemble crostinis, rub each piece of bread vigorously with garlic, top with a teaspoon of burrata, add two pieces of bell pepper, a few slices of basil, a few toasted pine nuts and lastly, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar reduction. Repeat until all of the crostinis are assembled. Serve right away, obvi.

• Reply Eileen June 18, 2012 at 11:57 am

Those do look amazing! I’m sure this will horrify you, but I don’t think I’ve ever eaten burrata! And why not? It’s clearly delicious, especially with those beautiful roasted peppers. One more recipe on my list. πŸ™‚

• Reply Lorna June 18, 2012 at 11:37 am

oh my god, these look amazing! must make them!

• Reply Lauren Bux June 18, 2012 at 10:56 am

Seriously, I think burrata, balsamic reduction, basil, and carbs is my FAVORITE summer combination. Last summer I turned this combo into everything from paninis, to panzanella and risotto and this year I planted FIVE basil plants to compensate. Mmmmmmm, now I’m hungry!

• Reply The Culinistas June 18, 2012 at 10:13 am

These look perfect for a summer party! With July 4th fast approaching they would be a great start for an Independence Day celebration.

• Reply Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 18, 2012 at 9:27 am

This looks absolutely delicious! Definitely going on my to-make list πŸ˜€

• Reply Kelsey @aslolife June 18, 2012 at 8:19 am

I love charring veggies–so simple but it adds so much flavor!

• Reply Carrie | acookgrowsinbrooklyn June 18, 2012 at 8:01 am

Burrata is so dang good – I agree. PS – I am constantly annoyed at the cost of pine nuts – and did not know that you could them in the bulk bins at Whole Foods! You just rocked my world!

• Reply charlotte au chocolat June 18, 2012 at 7:55 am

these look INCREDIBLE.

• Reply dervla @ The Curator June 18, 2012 at 7:54 am

I love Maddie! She’s the best.

• Reply Bev @ Bev Cooks June 18, 2012 at 7:04 am

CROSTINI. Ugh, you rule my face.

• Reply Margarita June 18, 2012 at 6:43 am

This appetizer will be a total hit! Love everything in this crostini… from the roasted peppers to the basil… yum!

• Reply Adina June 18, 2012 at 4:10 am

I’ll admit that I just ate breakfast and I’m already hungry again looking at these photos. They’re just that good looking. I’ll try to control myself but, hey, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve whipped up a second breakfast.

Also, my pesto (and eaters of my pesto) thanks you for the tip about pine nuts! Must become un-lazy enough to stop watching SVU on Netflix for 30 minutes so I can make a trip down to Whole Foods.

• Reply Nicole June 20, 2012 at 1:41 am

I go to Barnard! Totally random that I read your response. Lovin’ your blog.

• Reply Margherita June 18, 2012 at 3:59 am

Can we please hold a minute of silence contemplating burrata?…thanks πŸ™‚
    I’ll admit it, my love for burrata runs so deep that I might even break-up with boyfriend over it. And these crostini are perfection when it comes to enhance burrata’s flavor, a great combination of simple and great tasting ingredients to achieve perfection: what’t not to love about it?

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar June 18, 2012 at 3:48 am

This looks so fantastic! Awesome idea!

• Reply robyn June 18, 2012 at 3:33 am