Pumpkin Mascarpone Pillows with Cinnamon Whipped Cream

Desserts

I really love sleeping.

I know most people like sleeping, but I really really love it. I don’t like sleeping for long periods of time (hello headaches), but the sleep I do get is heavenly. I wake up sometimes wishing I could repeat the sleep.

Like, I wish I could go back in time to midnight and do the whole thing over again. Which is sort of ironic, considering I fall asleep at midnight dreaming about the next morning cup of coffee.

I lay my head down on my pillow and can literally hear the sound of the coffee pouring out of my chemex and into my mug. I’m a weird human, I understand.

Despite my sleep-loving attitude, I’m not particular about pillows. I don’t need fancy pillows, goose-down pillows, thempur-pedic pillows (though I actually have one and love it) or any of that fancy stuff. I just need something a piece of foam that smells good and is soft. I’m a simple pillow person!

But if I’m gonna eat pillows, I need them to be stuffed with cool stuff like spiced pumpkin and mascarpone and lemon zest. Very important.

This pumpkin pillow making process starts with pumpkin puree being mixed with good stuff like mascarpone cheese (cream cheese could be a substitute too), lemon zest/lemon juice, and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

About a half teaspoon of the pumpkin mixture is added to the center of store-bought wonton wrappers.

A little egg white is brushed on the edges and you fold the wonton wrapper over, making a triangular shape.

And then you repeat the process over and over again. This recipe makes about 24 little pumpkin pillows.

But doubling this recipe is a very good idea, because if you’re making them for a group of people, they’ll go fast!

Heat up about an inch of oil and then gently place them in the fryer. There’s no photo of this step because a camera near hot oil is always a dangerous little prospect. AND I have terrible light in my kitchen. Alternatively, you could bake these at 350F. I tried to test this baking situation for you buys and put a few in the oven but like a moron completely forgot about them and burned them to a crisp. So, I’ll say be safe and check them at the 10-minute mark and go from there. Alternative FAIL!

I love these little pillows, especially dipped in this cinnamon spiked whipped cream. I’m very into this little fall dessert snack. Not too time consuming, not too sweet, not too difficult. Pretty perfect.

Pumpkin Mascarpone Pillows and Cinnamon Whipped Cream

1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of cloves
Pinch of salt
24 won-ton wrappers
1 egg white
Vegetable Oil

1. Add the whipped cream, sugar and cinnamon to a medium bowl. Using a stand-up mixer or hand-mixer, beat until medium peaks form. Wrap with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator until the wontons are fried and you’re ready to serve.

2. In a medium bowl, add the pumpkin puree, mascarpone cheese, sugar, lemon zest and juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Mix until smooth. Sugar to taste. If you like it sweeter, by all means, add a bit more.

3. To assemble the pillows/wontons, lay them out onto your kitchen counter. Add a half teaspoon to the middle of each wonton. Using a pastry brush or your index finger, dip into the egg white and brush the edges of the wonton. Taking one corner, fold over to form a triangle and pressing out any air bubbles. Repeat process until all of the pillows are formed. If for some reason, you have to answer the phone or leave the process for more than 5 minutes, cover the wontons with a damp paper towel. This will make it so they don’t dry out.

4. To a cast iron skillet (or pot), add the vegetable oil until it reaches about 1-inch up the sides. Heat the oil ’til it reaches 350F. Add a few wontons at a time, being sure not to overcrowd the skillet, and fry on each side for 1 minute or until lightly golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Place cooked pillows into a warm (200F) oven to keep warm while you repeat the frying process with the remaining wontons. Serve right away with cinnamon whipped cream.

Yields 24 Pumpkin Pillows

• Reply Heather October 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I loved this story about dreaming of the coffee. It is relieving to know I am NOT the only one who dreams of coffee brewing . These looked really tasty too. Please follow my newest blog, it sadly does not have any followers yet. Thank you have a blessed week !!! Heather

• Reply Lauren Bux October 4, 2012 at 8:48 am

I’m totally making these tonight for dessert – maybe with a little vanilla bean ice cream action on the side? I totally freak out over the mess of deep frying in a hurry and for dinner guests, so I’m going to attempt baking them – I’ll report how it goes!

• Reply Lauren Bux October 5, 2012 at 4:33 am

So I made these last night and baked them, brushing them lightly with a beaten egg beforehand. You were right on the mark with the 350 for 10-15 suggestion (I left mine in closer to 15 minutes). They came out beautifully golden and crispy!

Oh and I used cream cheese (about 1.5 oz) instead of marscapone because I had it on hand. DELISH! Seriously, so yummy that I’m taking them to a party on Sunday now (easy enough seeing as I could only buy wonton wrappers in a pack of SIXTY).

Have a great weekend!

• Reply rosita vargas October 3, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Una idea genial me gustan tus recetas,abrazos grandes desde el sur de Chile,hugs,hugs.

• Reply Bun October 3, 2012 at 10:39 am

holy crap these look so amaze. question though- where can I find the won-ton wraps? I’ve read online you can find them at any grocery store…but have yet to find em! …maybe I’m just looking in the wrong aisle??

• Reply Adrianna October 3, 2012 at 10:41 am

You can usually find the in the refrigerated section where they sell tofu. I found these at Whole Foods right next to the tofu. Hope that helps!

• Reply Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet October 3, 2012 at 10:01 am

Once again, I am drooling on my keyboard 😉

These sound so delicious, but I have to agree with Emily above and say, way too hot in the Bay Area for pumpkin. Please cool down soon!

• Reply Emily : RainbowDelicious.com October 2, 2012 at 10:09 pm

These are so quaint and delicious looking!

I adore pumpkin but it feels wrong eating it when the weather is 90 degrees outside! California needs to warm up so I can enjoy this fall treat! Thanks for the recipe.

• Reply Adrianna October 2, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I HATE THIS WEATHER! HELP US ALL! But the end of the week is supposed to get nice.

• Reply gigi October 2, 2012 at 9:17 pm

these look just heavenly! great idea. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

• Reply Carol | a cup of mascarpone October 2, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I just fell in love…

• Reply Christina @ The Beautiful Balance October 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Pumpkin pillows? SOLD. I would definitely bake them to save on mess and added calories. You definitely seem to have great lighting in your kitchen. My images ALWAYS turn out yellow. UGH it is the most frustrating thing ever.

• Reply Adrianna October 2, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Blogger secret: I don’t shoot in my kitchen. I shoot in my living room because there’s much better light!

• Reply Carissa October 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

These look so yummy! I love the wonton wrapper idea.

• Reply Yelle October 2, 2012 at 6:12 am

These are so cute and delicious looking! Just in time for pumpkin season!

• Reply Angela October 2, 2012 at 5:34 am

Yesterday I made some garlic pumkin puree, is it crazy to make a savory pumpkin pillow? I’m guessing I’d have to cut out the sugar? I’m going to experiment and I’ll let you know how it goes! Oh and I think I am going to try baking them as well. (sorry for the duplicate comment, it went through before I was done!)

• Reply Adrianna October 2, 2012 at 9:35 am

Oh I love this idea! Definitely leave out the sugar. Maybe try adding some spices like cumin and paprika and maybe a little bit of onion powder. Please let me know how it goes! Very interested!

• Reply Angela October 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm

So I tried these with roasted garlic pumpkin puree and I left out the sugar. I tried them both fried and baked and they were amazing! Eric and I DEVOURED them! I posted my adapted recipe and linked back to yours. Thanks!

• Reply Adrianna October 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm

YAY! I need to try that. That sounds so awesome. 🙂

• Reply Angela Gilmore October 2, 2012 at 5:33 am

• Reply Margeret October 1, 2012 at 11:53 pm

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already 😉 Cheers!

• Reply julie @ the semi-reformed nerd October 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Oh. Dear. Looks like I know what I’m doing this weekend. I have to try these… I have a serious, unforgiving love for all things pumpkin. And cinnamon. And whipped creams. YUM!!