Pumpkin Bread Pudding

Breakfast, Desserts

Yesterday, while cooking, I added some pepper to a bowl and sneezed. My friend Cassie, who was over at the time, paused and said, “Man, you make a very “interesting” face the moment just before you sneeze.” I’m pretty sure what she meant by “interesting” was “ugly.” So I started to think to myself, Are there other times when I look “interesting”? There must be!

Like, when I’m sleeping and my face just settles into dreamland, do I look unattractive? When I’m washing the dishes, in my own world, pondering what human name I’m going to give my future dog, does my face look unattractive?

And when I cry, do I have an ugly cry face like Kim Kardashian? (This, by far, is my favorite Kim K. moment. Actually, it’s more of Kourtney’s moment. I mean, the way Kourtney laughs at her? Incredible.) If Kim K. is the ugliest crier around, I’d like to nominate the prettiest. That award goes to Demi Moore in Ghost (skip to 1:39). Like, her eyes well up so perfectly, just the right amount of tears, before they overflow and fall so beautifully. Let’s all aspire to cry like that. UGH!

Anyway, surely the moment before sneezing can’t be the only ugly face I unknowingly make. When do you make your “interesting” face? It’s okay, don’t worry, we can’t look cute all the time.

Speaking of unattractive! This bread pudding. Bread pudding is bread pudding. It’s definitely not what I consider “pretty food.” When I pulled it out of the oven I took a look at it and was like, well let’s hope it tastes good. It did. OMG it did.

Bread pudding is incredibly simple. This one is pretty simple stuff, too.

You start by mixing together pumpkin puree, milk, cream, sugar and a little salt.

Throw in some spices.

Cube up some bread.

P.S. I used a French loaf because I couldn’t find challah nor brioche. If you do end up using either of those, I’d skip the butter in the recipe below. That’d be too much butter. How dare you! It’s true; balance, people!

Toss the bread with the pumpkin/milk/spice mixture. And try not to drink it. I wanted to.

Bake until it’s all set.

And serve. Add ice cream. Add whipped cream. Oh gosh. Maybe have it for breakfast? Why not.

Want some variations on this pumpkin bread pudding? Add bourbon. Oh gosh, do THAT! Add chocolate. YES!

Have a good weekend! I like you.

Pumpkin Bread Pudding

1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup canned solid-packed pumpkin
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
5 cups cubed (1-inch) French loaf
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle.

2. Whisk together cream, pumpkin, milk, sugar, eggs, salt and spices

3. Toss bread cubes with butter in another bowl, then add pumpkin mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to an 8-inch square baking dish and bake until custard is set, about 30 minutes.

Adapted from Gourmet Magazine

• Reply Amy @ Elephant Eats September 21, 2012 at 10:12 am

You need to get a pic of your sneeze face to see for yourself. I have a theory that the face one makes before sneezing is the same as the face one makes while, um, doing something that starts with a big O. Is that totally inappropriate to say on a food blog?

Aaaaanyway, on another note, this pumpkin bread pudding looks delish. If my theory is correct, I bet you made the same face after taking a bite of it πŸ˜‰

• Reply Connie September 21, 2012 at 9:21 am

I love that you linked to that Kim Kardashian crying video. It makes me laugh every time. I think my interesting faces happen when I’m putting on makeup or blow drying my hair. Thank goodness those have not been photo-documented. Also, your bread pudding looks amazing. I agree, there are just certain foods that just don’t photograph well, but let me assure you that this pumpkin bread pudding looks delicious!

• Reply Jenny September 21, 2012 at 9:05 am

You’re totally wrong…this bread pudding is super cute! For realz! Yay, pumpkin season πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna September 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Yes I am. πŸ™‚

• Reply cindy September 21, 2012 at 8:53 am

bread pudding it totally breakfast fare, I mean…it’s basically french toast, right?!
    ps, I’ve never seen Ghost…I’m a movie mutant!

• Reply Adrianna September 22, 2012 at 3:08 pm

It’s basically French toast! You must see Ghost.

• Reply Margherita September 21, 2012 at 8:07 am

Looks like a perfect Fall comforting food. I’m really eager to try it!

• Reply lucy September 21, 2012 at 7:31 am

hmmm…maple syrup drizzeled on top!

• Reply Adrianna September 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

DO IT!

• Reply Mary September 21, 2012 at 7:23 am

Can you sub something for the heavy whipping cream? Maybe just use more milk instead? I try to avoid that stuff at all costs! πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna September 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Yes, for sure. Just use more milk. It shouldn’t affect it that much at all.

• Reply Elizabeth September 21, 2012 at 7:19 am

Just wanted to let you know that I seriously laughed out loud when I read this post at work…and my office is pretty silent most of the time πŸ™‚ You are so funny, and your food is awesome! Can’t wait to try this recipe…

• Reply mallory @ totalnoms September 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

Yum this looks great. I think I would like this with some kind pecan crumble or a chocolatey sauce on top because, you know, moderation is for suckers. Perfect fall dessert/breakfast!

• Reply Lucy September 21, 2012 at 6:17 am

Does it freeze? Just wondering if I can make it a week before?

Lucy

• Reply Adrianna September 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Hmm…I’d say no, unfortunately.

• Reply Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough September 21, 2012 at 5:52 am

My best friend and I gauge our emotions by “cry” and “ugly cry” face. We also have “laugh” and “ugly laugh face” (where you’re laughing so hard, you lose control of your face. It’s a thing). Though I’d prefer the ugly laugh face over the ugly cry one any day. πŸ™‚

Also, this pumpkin bread pudding? WANT. It looks like a cozy fall sweater in food form.

• Reply Adrianna September 22, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Oh I can definitely have an ugly laugh face, for sure.

• Reply Abby@ Totes Delish Blog September 21, 2012 at 5:29 am

I don’t normally like bread pudding, but this looks too good!

• Reply Mallory September 21, 2012 at 4:52 am

This looks fantastic…I love bread puddings and with the addition of pumpkin to the mix…I am smitten!

• Reply Katie D September 21, 2012 at 4:21 am

Omg, it looks so scrumptious!!! I’m going to make this for my suitemates at college!
    Btw, the link to the Demi Moore clip actually brings you to the Kim K. clip again. Just thought I’d let you know. πŸ™‚

• Reply Adrianna September 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Bah, fixed. Thanks for telling me! πŸ™‚

• Reply Domonique September 21, 2012 at 2:31 am

This looks pretty epic πŸ™‚ Also couldn’t help but chuckle at your mention of Kim K’s cry face!Ha!

x