Portobello Fries

Appetizers, Dinner, Sides, Snacks

Not sure if you all recall, but a few months ago a reporter asked Kate Moss what one of her favorite quotes was. She replied with: “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.” Umm…isn’t that hilarious…and sorta sad? I mean, I’m grateful for her honesty. Thank heavens she’s not that skinny while scarfing down hamburgers and fries on a daily basis. I’m glad she came clean about depriving herself of all things awesome.

When I’m really super bored, I sometimes dream about what I would feed her. My first instinct is to whip her up some pancakes. Lots of them. But what I really think would make her to cave in are these Baked Portobello Fries with Basil Aioli. You see, the word “baked” means they’re healthy. I think she’d dig that. I mean, I did.

I saw them on a menu at this restaurant across town, but didn’t order them since I wasn’t in the mood for something fried. I was kinda feeling like Kate, so I ordered a whole pizza instead. I couldn’t stop thinking about them after that night, vowing to drive over there just for them, but it never worked out. That’s when I decided to take my craving/curiosity into my own hands and make them myself. And boy, am I glad I did.

It’s an easy breezy recipe. And since they’re baked, this means you can eat a bunch and not feel guilty. See! it’s a win-win.

Start with a few portobello mushrooms and slice them up. Grab a bowl, crack a few eggs and beat them. Mix together your bread crumb mixture. Dip the mushroom slices in the beaten eggs.

Then transfer the wet mushroom slices to the plate with the bread crumbs, being sure to coat the entire mushroom.

Place them on a baking dish and bake for 10-15 minutes, check on them at 10 minutes and flipping them so they bake evenly.

While they’re in the oven, make some Basil Aioli. It’s the right thing to do. Just don’t screw it up like I did. See the picture below? I found out that I wasn’t supposed to blend the mayo WITH the basil. Ugh. Sometimes kitchen screw-ups are bound to happen.

Mix the basil, garlic, lemon juice and  salt and pepper in a blender for a bit. Then fold in the mayo.

Even though I botched the directions for the mayo, it was still super awesome. And the Portobello Fries were even more awesome. They were crunchy, a little soft inside, and not at all greasy. And I ate, like, 18 to be exact. Take that, Kate!

Portobello Fries with Basil Aioli

Portobello Fries inspired by Bottega Louie

Basil Aioli recipe from Orangette

For Portobello Fries:

1/2 cup of bread crumbs (store bought or homemade)

2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese or Pecarino

Pinch of red crushed pepper flakes

1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon of oregano

Salt and Pepper

2 portobellos

2 large eggs, beaten

For Basil Aioli:

2 Tbsp. olive oil

¼ cup packed basil leaves

½ tsp. lemon juice

1 medium garlic clove, pressed

Pinch of salt

½ cup mayonnaise, either homemade or commercial

Directions for Portobello Fries:

Preheat oven to 425˙F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray. On a plate, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, red crushed pepper flakes, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. In a small to medium bowl, beat the two large eggs.

Cut the portobello mushrooms into 1/8″ slices. One by one, dip the portobello slices in the beaten eggs and transfer to the place with the bread crumb mixture, being sure to coat the mushrooms thoroughly. Place the bread crumb covered mushrooms on the baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, checking on them after 10 and flipping them to ensure thorough baking.

Directions for Basil Aioli:

In the jar of a blender (or a small food processor), combine the olive oil, basil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Process until the mixture is smooth like pesto, pausing every now and then to scrape down the side of the blender jar with a small spatula or knife.

Put the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Add the basil mixture, and stir well to mix.

• Reply Egidius Heerkens August 13, 2010 at 2:45 am

Hi Adrianna. The portobello fries look amazing! I quite often get a glut of wild mushrooms (ie charcoal burner, oyster mushrooms) and I’m going to try out your recipy on these.

Thanks again
    Egidius Heerkens (eheerkens.com)

• Reply Zach August 13, 2010 at 12:41 am

OH MY GOD!!! I found this on Sumbleupon.com and it took like ten minutes to load, but the web browser said PORTOBELLO! I couldn’t resist, because I was just planning out some great shroom recipes today! Thank you and I will enjoy these thoroughly.

• Reply Adrianna August 13, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Ten minutes to load?! Holy moly…that sucks. I might need to change servers.

• Reply Jenna August 11, 2010 at 8:55 am

Looks amazing! I just added this to my recipe box on Tasty Kitchen.

• Reply sacha August 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm

new favorite recipe… made mine with manchego because i didnt have parmesan…

• Reply Adrianna August 5, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Maija–Be sure not to blend the mayo with the oil and basil–it won’t emulsify and your sauce will be oily like mine was. i made it the next night, the right way, and it was fantastic. Thanks for that awesome tid-bit of info. I had no idea. 🙂

• Reply Maija Haavisto August 5, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Sounds yummy. If you stick mushrooms in the oven, how could it not be. Not to mention if it’s served with something involving fresh basil.

(If some recipe says not to blend something so that it doesn’t become all green, I definitely will!)

P.S. Contrary to a previous post, mushrooms don’t have meaningful quantities of vitamin D. Sure, wild mushrooms (portobellos aren’t wild mushrooms, though) contain more vitamin D than just about any food, but the amounts are just tiny fractions of what we get from just minutes of sunlight.

• Reply Sarah August 4, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hahah! Love it! Silly Kate Moss, guess she’s never had good food. Anything with portabello mushrooms and you can count me in, can’t wait to try these out!

• Reply Kevin (Closet Cooking) August 3, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Baked portobello fries are such a great idea!

• Reply jenn from muchtomydelight August 3, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I pity the fool who won’t eat delicious food!! These look amazing and it’s something I never would have thought to make. YUM! Love your writing style, by the way.

• Reply Trudy ~ veggie num num August 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm

This is pure delicious genius!! Can’t wait to make up a big batch and enjoy them.. yay for mushrooms!!

• Reply Karenpie August 3, 2010 at 10:42 am

If I were to leave my family, say, and come live with you – would I eat like this every day? I mean, would you make me stuff and I’d sit around and say things like, “Um, you should definitely put it on TK and your blog.” I would be the live-in quality control/merchandising/marketing person. Admit it, you need one of those.

• Reply Ebony August 3, 2010 at 8:36 am

OK, I’m definitely making these! My son LOVES mushrooms, and these look especially toddler friendly (he can eat them with his hands without making too much of a mess). Thanks!

• Reply laura August 2, 2010 at 6:38 pm

every time i go to bottega louie i order these – one of my favorite restaurants, and one of my favorite foods! yum.

• Reply maggie August 2, 2010 at 4:58 pm

gorgeous styling and photography. can’t wait to make them.

i love bottega louie and i love the idea of feeding these to kate moss!

• Reply Betty @ scrambled hen fruit August 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm

These look fabulous- I love that they’re baked and not fried. Not that fried ones wouldn’t look good too. 🙂

• 1 2 3 4