Portobello Fries

Appetizers, Dinner, Sides, Snacks

Not sure if you all recall, but a few months ago a reporter asked Kate Moss what one of her favorite quotes was. She replied with: “Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.” Umm…isn’t that hilarious…and sorta sad? I mean, I’m grateful for her honesty. Thank heavens she’s not that skinny while scarfing down hamburgers and fries on a daily basis. I’m glad she came clean about depriving herself of all things awesome.

When I’m really super bored, I sometimes dream about what I would feed her. My first instinct is to whip her up some pancakes. Lots of them. But what I really think would make her to cave in are these Baked Portobello Fries with Basil Aioli. You see, the word “baked” means they’re healthy. I think she’d dig that. I mean, I did.

I saw them on a menu at this restaurant across town, but didn’t order them since I wasn’t in the mood for something fried. I was kinda feeling like Kate, so I ordered a whole pizza instead. I couldn’t stop thinking about them after that night, vowing to drive over there just for them, but it never worked out. That’s when I decided to take my craving/curiosity into my own hands and make them myself. And boy, am I glad I did.

It’s an easy breezy recipe. And since they’re baked, this means you can eat a bunch and not feel guilty. See! it’s a win-win.

Start with a few portobello mushrooms and slice them up. Grab a bowl, crack a few eggs and beat them. Mix together your bread crumb mixture. Dip the mushroom slices in the beaten eggs.

Then transfer the wet mushroom slices to the plate with the bread crumbs, being sure to coat the entire mushroom.

Place them on a baking dish and bake for 10-15 minutes, check on them at 10 minutes and flipping them so they bake evenly.

While they’re in the oven, make some Basil Aioli. It’s the right thing to do. Just don’t screw it up like I did. See the picture below? I found out that I wasn’t supposed to blend the mayo WITH the basil. Ugh. Sometimes kitchen screw-ups are bound to happen.

Mix the basil, garlic, lemon juice and  salt and pepper in a blender for a bit. Then fold in the mayo.

Even though I botched the directions for the mayo, it was still super awesome. And the Portobello Fries were even more awesome. They were crunchy, a little soft inside, and not at all greasy. And I ate, like, 18 to be exact. Take that, Kate!

Portobello Fries with Basil Aioli

Portobello Fries inspired by Bottega Louie

Basil Aioli recipe from Orangette

For Portobello Fries:

1/2 cup of bread crumbs (store bought or homemade)

2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese or Pecarino

Pinch of red crushed pepper flakes

1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon of oregano

Salt and Pepper

2 portobellos

2 large eggs, beaten

For Basil Aioli:

2 Tbsp. olive oil

¼ cup packed basil leaves

½ tsp. lemon juice

1 medium garlic clove, pressed

Pinch of salt

½ cup mayonnaise, either homemade or commercial

Directions for Portobello Fries:

Preheat oven to 425˙F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with cooking spray. On a plate, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, red crushed pepper flakes, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. In a small to medium bowl, beat the two large eggs.

Cut the portobello mushrooms into 1/8″ slices. One by one, dip the portobello slices in the beaten eggs and transfer to the place with the bread crumb mixture, being sure to coat the mushrooms thoroughly. Place the bread crumb covered mushrooms on the baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, checking on them after 10 and flipping them to ensure thorough baking.

Directions for Basil Aioli:

In the jar of a blender (or a small food processor), combine the olive oil, basil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Process until the mixture is smooth like pesto, pausing every now and then to scrape down the side of the blender jar with a small spatula or knife.

Put the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Add the basil mixture, and stir well to mix.

• Reply indie.tea August 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Those look DELICIOUS! And I love, love aioli.
    I would rather eat and cook than look like Kate Moss…’cause no one is gonna pay me millions even if I DID look like her…I think she just sort of got lucky and was discovered.

• Reply Adrianna August 2, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Thanks, everyone. I hope you like them!

Nadette–You’ve inspired me! I’m making a portobello sandwich with these tonight. That sounds amazing.

• Reply Elizabeth August 2, 2010 at 2:39 pm

As if I needed another version of fries to pine after and the dip! I’m in trouble now…

• Reply Andy August 2, 2010 at 1:44 pm

These look fantastic~ Definitely going straight onto my ‘to cook’ list, which has been lacking savoury creations lately!

• Reply Brendan August 2, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Those look great! The pizza really was a mistake.

• Reply Nadia August 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

They look and sound so amazing, bookmarked!

• Reply Mandie August 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

I have heard of a lot of oven baked goodies but these are totally new to me! and they look fantastic. anything involving dipping and portabellos is good with me.

• Reply Nadette @ Eat, Read, Rant! August 2, 2010 at 10:00 am

mmm crispy portabello fries. sounds delightful. In fact, I want to make a sandwhich out of them, because i’m obesses with portabello mushroom sandwhiches. I would have to make my own spin of the aioli, b/c i really REALLY don’t like mayo. but that’s what greek yogurt was invented for 🙂

• Reply Adrianna August 22, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Bravo, lady! I put these in a sandwich with the basil mayo and it was incredible! Highly recommended.

• Reply Angie August 2, 2010 at 9:44 am

I love Portobellos. I am going to give these a try

• Reply Anne August 2, 2010 at 9:37 am

Love ’em! Want to make them right now, and eat 19 at least 🙂

• Reply Maria August 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

I can’t wait to try these! I love making veggies into fries!

• Reply Kaiti January 7, 2011 at 2:36 am

Aren’t all fries made of veggies?

• Reply Maggy@ThreeManyCooks August 2, 2010 at 8:24 am

I’m in love with these. And with your blog. I’m totally making these.

• Reply DessertForTwo August 2, 2010 at 7:16 am

Yum! Mushrooms have a lot of Vitamin D, so dig in! 🙂

• Reply Erica August 2, 2010 at 6:17 am

These are like a little piece of heaven to me ; )

• Reply Alisa August 2, 2010 at 4:54 am

LOL the people i work with have that quote taped to their computers, and it has always disgusted me. these people don’t know good food… perhaps i’ve never been skinny, so i don’t know how good it feels, but man do i know good food!!

these look great, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Jane August 13, 2010 at 11:17 pm

These are in no way healthy. Taking vegetables and covering them in fat..

• Reply Adrianna August 14, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Jane, Chillax. I haven’t promised healthy in this post. I just said that they’re definitely healthier than being fried.

• Reply David August 18, 2010 at 11:49 am

Are you one of these rather depressing people who think that any smidgen of fat renders food poisonous? These look pretty healthy to me, especially with a homemade mayonnaise mayonnaise – and they also look absolutely profoundly delicious! Will certainly be trying these one day!

• Reply Laura August 20, 2010 at 4:34 am

If you think these are especially unhealthy you really need better knowledge in regards to food. I suspect Jane can’t actually read and because they look as though they’ve been fried, they MUST be unhealthy. I feel sorry for people with that mind set. Fat does not equal bad.

• Reply Carrie August 28, 2010 at 5:30 pm

I completely disagree, they are lightly coated and baked. The Aioli is a great way to add healthy fats that your body needs. I made the aioli with egg yolk instead of mayonnaise. I think it is a great way to keep a healthy lifestyle fresh!! I have them as a side dish almost once a week.

• Reply gustadora October 19, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Don’t be such a buzz kill, Jane! This is probably packed with more nutrition than any of your portion controlled diet bars replete with GMO ingredients, Monsanto pesticides, and multi-syllabic preservatives anyway. Live a little, girl.

This looks fantastic, Adrianna, and probably tastes like heaven in a fungus. Kudos to all of you who make your own aioli, too. Brave souls.

Bookmarking this recipe now so I can make some portobello frites this weekend!

• Reply amanda December 3, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Jane,

Meet vitamins A, D, E and K. I’m guessing you haven’t been acquainted.

• Reply stef January 30, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Everything is going to be OK Jane. Just eat the mushroom fry…

• Reply Jamie-Lee August 21, 2011 at 2:33 am