Summer is here! I couldn’t be more excited about this olive oil cake with fresh berries. It took exactly twenty tries for me to get right but I could not be more excited about how delicious and fresh this cake came out!
For this post, I teamed up with ALDI where I went to get all of my summer baking needs. For years, I’ve wanted to make an olive oil cake but I always hesitated because most of them called for a healthy amount of olive oil and the cake just sounded sort of expensive to make. But at ALDI I was able to buy the freshest berries and really great-quality olive oil for really affordable prices.
Every single item I purchased at ALDI made for a super delicious, tasty and affordable cake that is perfect for any bbq, summer-y get together or simple dinner.
And every single item is Instacart basket—isn’t that cool?! You’re only minutes from having the groceries delivered to your door; this olive oil cake is in your future.
Let’s get into the nitty-gritty of this cake! Olive oil cakes can be challenging because I really wanted you to be able to taste the olive oil in this cake. But I also didn’t want it to be super dense or heavy.
This required leaning on the eggs and sugar to add a bit of lightness. The trick here is beating the eggs and sugar until they go from a sunny bright yellow color to pale and fluffy. This adds some additional air into the cake, which will assist the baking powder in making it light and bright.
I only added blueberries to the batter; and since the batter is super thin, it is a requirement to toss the blueberries in a bit of corn starch (you could also use tapioca starch).
For serving this cake, I love to add a bit of whipped cream on top with some additional fresh berries that aren’t in the cake: strawberries and blackberries. Strawberries and blackberries are a bit too wet to add to the cake but they’re perfect on top!
You can shop at ALDI on Instacart If you’re a first timer Instacart shopper, use the code “ALDIACK” for $10 off your first three orders of $35 or more. Also, click here to have the entire list of ingredients for this recipe to be automatically added to your Instacart shopping bag. Just a note! Corn starch is not available at every ALDI so it’s not included in the Instacart shopping bag! But it is listed below in the recipe 🙂
Olive Oil Berry CakePrint
Olive Oil Berry Cake:
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups Baker’s Corner All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons Simply Nature Organic Wildflower Honey
- 3/4 cup Specially Selected Extra Virgin Olive Oil + 1 teaspoon (for greasing the cake pan), divided
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup blackberries, sliced
To Make the Berry Olive Oil Cake:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rub about a teaspoon of olive oil in a 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan. Line the bottom with a round or parchment and set aside. In a small bowl, toss together the blueberries and corn starch; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In the bowl of a stand-up mixer with the paddle attachment, (alternatively you could use a medium bowl and an electric hand mixer), add the eggs, sugar and lemon zest. Beat for about 5 minutes, until light, fluffy, and pale yellow.
- Pour in the olive oil, honey and mix until combined. Alternating between the milk and dry ingredient mixture, add to the egg mixture until combined.
- Add about 1/2 cup of batter to the bottom of the pan (you can eyeball this measurement), and then place a handful of blueberries to the top of the batter. Add the remaining batter and then the rest of the blueberries.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. At the 15-minute mark, turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees F and bake for a remaining 15 to 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, before inverting onto a cooling rack and allowing to cool to room temperature.
- When you’re ready to serve the cake, add the heavy cream and powdered sugar to the bowl of a stand-up mixer with the whisk attachment. Alternatively, you could use a medium bowl with an electric hand mixer. Whip until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add a few dollops of whipped cream to the top of the cake. Place a few berries on top and dust the entire thing with powdered sugar.
(This post is sponsored by ALDI. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that keep A Cozy Kitchen cozy.)