My Best Fall Recipes

Desserts, Dinner

{Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes}

I live in this really magical place called Los Angeles, California.

It’s a place where you have to pay, like, $2 for parking to go to the mall. Even if you don’t buy anything.

It’s a place where people sitting next to you at coffee shops are writing movies on their laptops. And then those movies get made, you see them in the theater, and it’s weird and wild.

It’s a place where palm tress aren’t native to the state, yet they fit in perfectly.

And it’s a place where you see Janice Dickason at the movie theater, dressed like she’s going to the Met Ball, with a man who’s six inches shorter and looks like he might own the state of California. Very normal.

Los Angeles is a place of make believe. So, when it’s the first day of fall and 90 degrees outside, it forces you to pretend it’s brisk out, or else you’ll get mad. Because all anybody wants to do on the first day of fall–myself included–is break out their new boots, scarves, hold hands with the boy they like and jump in a big pile of autumn leaves. Am I right, or am I right? I’m right.

This Apple Danish is super pretty. Good quality store-bought puff pastry, paired with perfect apples that you can only really get in fall. Oh and there’s lots of spices, too. It’s a winner.

This Nutty Seedy Pumpkin Bread is the epitome of the season. The smell will warm your house and make it feel super cozy and awesome.

Acorn Squash Soup with Cheesy Croutons. I’ve been making various versions of this soup since I was a youngster. Back in college, this was my go-to soup. It’s sweet, nutty and not too creamy. The cheesy Gruyére croutons totally make it.

Egg-In-A-Hole Grilled Cheese. A lil’ twist on my favorite kid-like breakfast.

Spicy Vegan Chili. Healthy, filling and good. Make a big pot on a Monday and eat the rest for the next couple of days.

And because you can’t eat chili without cornbread: Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread. They’re a perfect match.

These Soft Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies are soft, a little crunchy, creamy and taste all pumpkin-like.

Fall is sooooo cool.

• Reply Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes September 25, 2012 at 11:16 am

I want to make the pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes!

• Reply kim@hungryhealthygirl September 25, 2012 at 10:26 am

I want that nutty seedy pumpkin bread now!!! I have to pretend it feels like Fall too….here in Texas the high yesterday was 95. 🙁

• Reply Adrianna September 25, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Super sad!

• Reply Domonique September 25, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m obsessed with this post- not only because in the UK it’s freeeezing and these recipes will for sure come to good use but for the way in which you describe L.A. ha!

x

• Reply Adrianna September 25, 2012 at 6:08 pm

HA. It’s a fun place to live. I love it. 🙂

• Reply Cathy @ Noble Pig September 25, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m all over that acorn squash soup! Love!

• Reply Katie @ Blonde Ambition September 25, 2012 at 9:49 am

Same here in Northern California! I bought an amaazing pair of boots a week or 2 ago and I can’t wear them yet because it’s still 90 degrees every day!

Acorn Squash Soup was the first dish I ever tried making without following a recipe. It always finds its way to my table each autumn. I want it now!!

• Reply Adrianna September 25, 2012 at 6:08 pm

ME TOO, actually. I’m pretty sure it was one of the first things I could make without looking at a recipe.

• Reply Christina @ The Beautiful Balance September 25, 2012 at 9:36 am

Holy yum! Squash soup and pumpkin sandwich cookies are on my list of things to make now!

• Reply Heidi @foodiecrush September 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

Ah, you are so right about L.A. I always told people to wait to visit in late September and early October for the best summer weather ever. It’s hard to get in the spirit of fall when there aren’t any changing leaves. But I think your recipes will do the trick. I want the apple danish and than frog in the hole grilled cheese is brilliant.

• Reply Adrianna September 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm

We have an Indian summer, for sure!

• Reply robyn September 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

sooo many things to love here-the pumpkin pancakes are being made this weekend!

• Reply christin September 25, 2012 at 7:35 am

Yep…cornbread into my life. Right now.

• Reply Jess September 25, 2012 at 6:55 am

You are absolutely right – I’m an east coast transplant in LA and I feel like a squirrel getting ready for winter. Stew in the crockpot, sauce on the stove, beans in the oven – all for the freezer for wintery nights that just won’t happen! What does a girl have to do to at least get some temps in the 60’s?

• Reply Adrianna September 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Fareal. GRRR!

• Reply Abby@ Totes Delish Blog September 25, 2012 at 5:30 am

I’m going to need that chili/cornbread combo up in my face ASAP!! Everything else too.

• Reply Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 25, 2012 at 4:58 am

All of these look amazing! All hail the pumpkin foods!! lol

• Reply Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar September 25, 2012 at 3:19 am

Everything looks lovely! I can’t wait to try some of these!

• Reply marissa @ the boot September 25, 2012 at 2:42 am

i love it all. 🙂

• Reply Blog is the New Black September 25, 2012 at 2:28 am

I want that acorn squash soup!