The summer is especially the time when easy recipes are desired. It’s hot and people are sweating and being outside is more fun than being inside. I have a few more ambitious summer recipes coming your way, but today I wanted to share something that takes literally under 15 minutes to make. It couldn’t be simpler, but just because it’s simple doesn’t mean it’s not awesome.
You can bake your own pound cake or you can buy pound cake. I recommend the latter because it really does cut down on a huge amount of time and I’ve found a really delicious-tasting pound cake at Whole Foods that’s about $5 for a loaf. I mean…it’s a no-brainer.
The recipe starts with strawberries being pureed in the blender. I strain the mixture just to get out all the seeds. It’s an optional step but I think overall it results in a prettier trifle. And then mix it with Mountain High Yoghurt. Look at this swirl action!
The pound cake is cubed and then layered: one layer of pound cake, yoghurt, pistachios, rose petals. And then it’s repeated a few times. They’re easy to assemble. They’re easy to prep, in case you wanted to make everything ahead.
You could even set everything up as a build your own trifle bar situation.
For more yoghurt recipes and inspiration, follow the Mountain High Yoghurt Recipes and Inspiration Board on Pinterest. Also, there are even more recipes via their site. (The Guac-a-moo-le with yoghurt was a favorite of mine!) And of course, you can follow them on Pinterest, too.
Yoghurt Pound Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons fine-grain sea salt
- 1 cup Mountain High Yoghurt
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Berry Yoghurt Puree:
- 1/2 pound strawberries
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups Mountain High Yoghurt
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried rose petals, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch or 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease and flour the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. In another medium-sized bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, white sugar, brown sugar and eggs. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. With a rubber spatula, fold the olive oil into the batter, making sure it’s completely incorporated. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the berry yogurt puree. In a food processor or blender, add the strawberries, honey and salt and pulse until pureed. Run the strawberry puree through a fine-mesh strainer and discard the seeds and pulp. In a medium bowl, combine the yoghurt and strawberry puree.
- To assemble, start by cutting the pound cake into small cubes. Add a handful of pound cake cubes to each of the glasses. Top with a liberal dollop of strawberry yoghurt, a sprinkling of pistachios and rose petals. Repeat until you have about 3 layers. Repeat with the remaining trifles.