Mini Alfajores

Cookies, Desserts

Have I ever told you I’m really bad at math? Don’t ask me math questions. And please answer mine. If I’m asking, it means they’re serious and important.

For instance, if I for some reason burst into our office, covered in flour, and ask you how many grams 3/4 of a cup of flour is…it’s important. Really important.

Also, I’m a little heavy handed with the sugar when putting it in my coffee. Don’t judge me.

Let’s do cookie math, shall we? It’s way more fun than normal, real life math flour math…mainly because we get to eat this math.

This recipe yields 50 small cookies. For each cookie sandwich you’ll need two buttery, shortbread cookies and one small teaspoon of dulce de leche. Each cookie is about two bites. That means this recipe will give you 50 glorious, delicious bites of my childhood.

Yes, that’s right. These cookies you see here were some of the first I baked up. Ever.

Why did I wait this long to make them for the blog you ask?

I sort of have an attitude with most alfajores. The ones of my childhood were glorious–they were made with dulce de leche (a.k.a manjar blanco) that was stirred for hours and hours (by hand!!).

The shortbread cookie was soft and crumbly. The cookies were filled with about two tablespoons of dulce de leche and then rolled in powdered sugar. MAJOR!

But…they were always too big. Too rich. Just too much to eat (for me at least).

It’s totally silly to say that I really never thought of simply making them smaller-which is about the easiest thing to do, ever.

I think it’s that they were so ingrained in my head as these monster cookies that I never thought I could do it.

Just not really an option.

But guess what…I did. And I fell in love with them all over again.

They’re buttery, soft with just the perfect amount of give. Not too little dulce de leche, not too much…just enough.

A little sprinkling of powdered sugar on top…and you got yourself two bites of major cuteness.

Mini Alfajores

1 can sweetened condensed milk (label removed)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. In a large pot, fill with water to cover the can of sweetened condensed milk. Over high heat, bring to a boil Let simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, making sure to add more water as necessary. Remove the can of dulce de leche from the water and let cool to room temperature.

2. Preheat oven to 350˙F. In a medium bowl combine flour and salt. In a stand-up mixer cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract for 3-4 minutes, mixture will turn light and fluffy. As mixer is going, add in flour and mix until combined. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

3. On a heavily floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. The dough will be a little sticky so be sure to flour your roller, too. Using a 1 1/2-inch round cutter, cut out shortbread cookies and place on baking sheet. Poke a series of three holes, using a fork, in the center of each cookie.

4. Transfer cookies to oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown. Let cool on wire rack. To assemble the sandwiches, open the can of dulce de lece. Lay half of the shortbread cookies bottom-side up. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of dulce de leche on one half of the cookies. Top with the other half and lightly press down until you’ve gone through all the cookies.

Yields approximately 25 sandwich cookies

• Reply yummy supper December 3, 2011 at 2:52 am

Adrianna, those cuties do look like the perfect mouthful (or two) of deliciousness. All you have to say is dulce de leche and I’m in!
    -E

• Reply beti December 3, 2011 at 2:09 am

I always wanted to make them, they look amazing

• Reply DessertForTwo December 3, 2011 at 2:01 am

I had these cookies for the first time a few years ago from a friend’s mom who grew up with them in Argentina. I’m addicted! I’m not truly a cookie fan, but these, now these I can 12 of. She used to roll the edges in coconut and use a tiny bit of lemon zest in the cookie. Oh heavens!

• Reply Dana December 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm

These look darling! I love that they’re tiny!

• Reply Teri Lyn Fister December 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

So cute. I love the pictures! GOOD JOB YO!

• Reply channing @delish test kitch December 2, 2011 at 9:03 pm

little pillows of pure heavenly bliss! thank you + cannot wait to try!

• Reply Megan December 2, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Whoa. These cookies are total babes.

• Reply Nadette@Eat, Read, Rant December 2, 2011 at 7:36 pm

why have I never heard of these cookies before, let alone had them?! I may have to make these this weekend. Oh yes!

• Reply cindy December 2, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I love this! Mini Alfajores! I always think the standard ones are super delicious, but way to rich, and really, I want to eat more than one cookie at a time…way to solve real life problems.

• Reply Amy @ Elephant Eats December 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I’ve always been afraid to try the boiling-the-can method to make dulce de leche…but not that you’ve assured me it’s safe, I think I’m gonna do it. These sound seriously amazing!

• Reply Maria December 2, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Can’t wait to try them, they sound wonderful! I might also try adding some cocoa powder to dolche leche, we used to do that growing up. Makes it taste even better!

• Reply Bev December 2, 2011 at 5:37 pm

we do something very similar but fill the cookies with a royal type icing.I also make the cookies closer to only an inch round so you can pop one cookie in your mouth. They just melt in your mouth and are heavenly! We tint the icing to a color that goes with the season. Christmas is always pink and green (red is too dark). Have been known to do blue and yellow for Easter or for other special occasions.

• Reply Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen December 2, 2011 at 5:28 pm

These look so delicious, but I’ve always been downright terrified to make dulce de leche! Boiling a can seems like an explosion waiting to happen!

• Reply Adrianna December 2, 2011 at 5:30 pm

If you open the can while it’s hot, there will be a mini explosion. (I did this…that’s how I know. 🙂 ) But the boiling part is super safe!

• Reply Jillian@TheHumbleGourmet December 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm

My mouth is watering. Must try these soon!

• Reply nicole {sweet peony} December 2, 2011 at 5:04 pm

i’ve never had an alfajore but they look amazing & oh so adorable! i can’t wait to try these! thanks adrianna & have a great weekend 🙂

• 1 2 3 4