Mini Alfajores

Cookies, Desserts

Have I ever told you I’m really bad at math? Don’t ask me math questions. And please answer mine. If I’m asking, it means they’re serious and important.

For instance, if I for some reason burst into our office, covered in flour, and ask you how many grams 3/4 of a cup of flour is…it’s important. Really important.

Also, I’m a little heavy handed with the sugar when putting it in my coffee. Don’t judge me.

Let’s do cookie math, shall we? It’s way more fun than normal, real life math flour math…mainly because we get to eat this math.

This recipe yields 50 small cookies. For each cookie sandwich you’ll need two buttery, shortbread cookies and one small teaspoon of dulce de leche. Each cookie is about two bites. That means this recipe will give you 50 glorious, delicious bites of my childhood.

Yes, that’s right. These cookies you see here were some of the first I baked up. Ever.

Why did I wait this long to make them for the blog you ask?

I sort of have an attitude with most alfajores. The ones of my childhood were glorious–they were made with dulce de leche (a.k.a manjar blanco) that was stirred for hours and hours (by hand!!).

The shortbread cookie was soft and crumbly. The cookies were filled with about two tablespoons of dulce de leche and then rolled in powdered sugar. MAJOR!

But…they were always too big. Too rich. Just too much to eat (for me at least).

It’s totally silly to say that I really never thought of simply making them smaller-which is about the easiest thing to do, ever.

I think it’s that they were so ingrained in my head as these monster cookies that I never thought I could do it.

Just not really an option.

But guess what…I did. And I fell in love with them all over again.

They’re buttery, soft with just the perfect amount of give. Not too little dulce de leche, not too much…just enough.

A little sprinkling of powdered sugar on top…and you got yourself two bites of major cuteness.

Mini Alfajores

1 can sweetened condensed milk (label removed)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup fine granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1. In a large pot, fill with water to cover the can of sweetened condensed milk. Over high heat, bring to a boil Let simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, making sure to add more water as necessary. Remove the can of dulce de leche from the water and let cool to room temperature.

2. Preheat oven to 350˙F. In a medium bowl combine flour and salt. In a stand-up mixer cream together butter, sugar and vanilla extract for 3-4 minutes, mixture will turn light and fluffy. As mixer is going, add in flour and mix until combined. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

3. On a heavily floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness. The dough will be a little sticky so be sure to flour your roller, too. Using a 1 1/2-inch round cutter, cut out shortbread cookies and place on baking sheet. Poke a series of three holes, using a fork, in the center of each cookie.

4. Transfer cookies to oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until edges are slightly golden brown. Let cool on wire rack. To assemble the sandwiches, open the can of dulce de lece. Lay half of the shortbread cookies bottom-side up. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon of dulce de leche on one half of the cookies. Top with the other half and lightly press down until you’ve gone through all the cookies.

Yields approximately 25 sandwich cookies

• Reply Aimee December 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

mmm, I had a student from Argentina make these for me a couple times. They were amazing. These look amazing. You need to roll the cookie in coconut for the final touch.

• Reply Adrianna December 2, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Fun fact: Argentinians roll them in coconut and Peruvians roll them in powdered sugar. Since my mama is Peruvian I had to do a little dusting of powdered sugar. But I bet the coconut is delish!

• Reply Becca December 2, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I’d never heard of these before but they look absolutely delicious!

• Reply mallory @ total noms December 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

My family is from Argentina, and alfajores are my 100% favorite dessert of life. In Argentina you can get them covered in dark chocolate….. YUM I’ll have to try this recipe!

• Reply la domestique December 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I’ve never tried alfajores before! These little shortbread cookies are too cute. Thanks for sharing them.

• Reply Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray December 2, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Whoa, totally thought I was reading this wrong when I saw that you’re boiling the water around the sweetened condensed milk *in* the can–how cool!

Also these sound like little bites of heaven, please and thank you.

• Reply Nicole Franzen December 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

LOVE alfajores 🙂 I spent a year in Argentina and its my favorite treats.

• Reply Heather December 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

You had me at dulce de leche! I also just nabbed a boxed collection a dozen biscuit/cookie rings at our local thrift store (for $2!!) that are begging to be broken in.

“Helloooooo alfajores! I have no idea what your name means but your ingredients mean that you’re delicious!” (If you’re a fan of a short ingredient list like I am, check out this recipe! It’s addicting, I’m afraid.)

Cheers,
    Heather @ Find That Warm Fuzzy Feeling

• Reply Blog is the New Black December 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm

These look amazing, love that it only requires few ingredients!

• Reply Staci December 2, 2011 at 1:20 pm

These look just amazing! Shortbread and dulce de leche! Got to try them!

• Reply Heather (Heather's Dish) December 2, 2011 at 12:57 pm

i love the short ingredient list…those are always the best! i’ll be making them this weekend for sure

• Reply Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau December 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I’ve never had these before but they sound like delightful little explosions of flavor. The dulce de leche oozing out of the sides of these looks so tempting!

• Reply Becki's Whole Life December 2, 2011 at 11:30 am

These look perfect and so cute! I love the buttery cookie and I can only imagine how wonderful the dulce de leche tastes sandwiched between the two. I have never done the condensed milk version, but I so want to. This would be a great recipe to try it with.

• Reply Katrina December 2, 2011 at 11:18 am

This sounds delightful! I can’t wait to try 🙂

• Reply Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 2, 2011 at 9:11 am

I want to stuff this and run so far away, for the fear of sharing it with others! I love alfajores!!

• Reply Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 2, 2011 at 8:58 am

I didn’t even really know what an Alfajores was until reading this post…all I know is that a can of sweetened condensed milk, butter, sugar and more sugar all in cookie form sounds pretty amazing to me!

• 1 2 3 4