These bacon pancakes are a fun twist on the classic buttermilk pancake. The salty bacon pairs perfectly with the pancake and maple syrup.
How to Make Bacon Pancakes:
- Cook the bacon. Make sure it’s nice and crispy since it’ll lose a little bit of that crisp once it’s cooked in the pancake.
- Mix the dry ingredients. Just whisk it all together until throughly combined.
- Add the wet ingredients. Mix in the lightly beaten eggs and buttermilk, just until combined.
- DON’T OVER MIX! Just don’t do it, mix just until it comes together if you want light fluffy pancakes.
- Let the batter sit for a couple minutes. While this happens heat up your griddle or pan you’re cooking the pancakes in.
- Cook! Add the bacon to the pancake batter and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve. With room temperature butter and plenty of maple syrup.
Tips and Tricks:
- Don’t over mix! This is key in any pancake recipe to make sure you have light and fluffy pancakes. Over mix and you’ll certainly be left with tough and pancakes.
- Leaving out the bacon is fine, as a result you’ll just end up with classic buttermilk pancakes.
- The oven trick is important! It lets you hold the pancakes at a low temp so you’ll end up with all the pancakes hot and ready to serve at the same time.
How to Cook Bacon Pancakes:
Just like regular pancakes! The trick with the bacon is cooking it first, then dicing it up to small pieces so the pancakes can evenly cook. After that, you just cook it on a griddle with a little bit of butter until golden brown then flip and cook the second side before transferring to the oven to stay warm.
Bacon Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 6 slices bacon sliced horizontally, then diced
- Pre-heat oven to 150˚F so you can keep the pancakes warm while the others are cooking.
- In a medium pan, cook the bacon, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until cooked. About 10-12 minutes. Remove the bacon to a paper towel, to remove excess fat.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Add the lightly beaten eggs and buttermilk in two batches, careful to not overmix. Don't overmix! This is the sure way to tough pancakes. You want some small to medium lumps in there.
- Let the batter sit for 10 minutes to thicken a bit. Then heat up your griddle or cast iron skillet slowly and brush with 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Once the batter is done resting, lightly fold the bacon in the batter. Take a 1/4 cup of batter dropping it onto the griddle or cast iron skillet. Cook until bubbles form along the sides. Flip. Then cook until browned.
- Once they're done, put them on a plate in the warm oven until you're ready to serve. Top with warm maple syrup and a dollop of butter.
Did you make these? Let me know on instagram!
Looking for more breakfast recipes? Here are some of my favorites: