This Instant Pot Braised Lamb Shank smells like Sunday dinner. You know that smell…like sautéed onions, something braising in spices. The sounds are different than the smells. They’re of steam rising, some sort of adult-friendly jazz or salsa playing, and mom is screaming at you to set the table. Or at the very least, take the trash out because it’s gotten full. People are coming over and it’s time for the kitchen to go from used up to presentable. And you need to be presentable, too, so put on something nice; your Sunday best is preferred.
My mother was the best at braising things. She was also incredible at delegating and making everyone do what needed to get done. She was doing the most so it was only fair.
For this post, I teamed up with McCormick to show you how to make Easter Sunday smell and taste amazingly delicious. And to make it as easy as possible, this whole thing is made in an Instant Pot.
The Instant Pot makes this dish come together SO fast and easy. The lamb shanks are smothered in a spice mixture full of sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, mustard and black pepper. It’s seared and then placed in the Instant Pot with tomatoes and a chipotle in adobo. It’s braised with some carrots, onion and garlic.
While it was in the Instant Pot doing its thing, I made this potato dish, piped out some deviled eggs and gathered some pretty flowers from the backyard. It was easy as can be.
When I released the pressure and lifted up the lid, the smell of spices and flavor engulfed the entire kitchen and I knew it was going to be amazing.
I garnished the lamb shanks with a bit of diced white onion, cilantro and radishes. Just like I would a taco. And if you some how have a batch of tortillas in your fridge, I think warming them up and placing them right next to this lamb would be a very good move.
Instant Pot Chipotle Braised Lamb ShankPrint
- 4 lamb shanks, about 3 1/2 pounds
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Sicilian Sea Salt
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons McCormick Gourmet Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Gourmet Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 15-ounce can of whole or diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 chipotle in adobo
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 white onion, sliced, plus more, diced, as garnish
- 4 carrots, trimmed, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced, as garnish
- 1 radish, thinly sliced, as garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, as garnish
- Place the lamb shanks on a cutting board or baking sheet. In a shallow bowl or plate, whisk together the salt, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, mustard and black pepper. Sprinkle the lamb shanks with the spice mixture and allow them to come to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven, set over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. When hot, add the lamb shanks, in batches of two, searing them on both sides for about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove them from the pot and transfer them to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining two lamb shanks.
- To a blender, add the chipotle in adobo, tomato sauce, water and salt. Blend until pureed, about 1 minute. Give it a taste and adjust salt to your liking, I added an additional pinch of salt.
- To the Instant Pot, add the garlic, sliced onion, carrots and chipotle/tomato sauce mixture. Next, add the lamb shanks. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and manually set it for 45 minutes on “high pressure.” When the lamb shanks have finished cooking, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 15 minutes. Open the steam valve to release the remaining steam and once that’s complete, remove the lid and transfer the lamb shanks to a serving plate and cover with foil.
- Turn the setting to sauté and allow the sauce to cook and thicken for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- To serve, uncover the lamb shanks, pour the sauce and carrots over the shanks. Garnish with minced cilantro, sliced radishes, diced white onion and lime wedges.
(This post was sponsored by McCormick. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep A Cozy Kitchen cozy.)