How-To: Glitter Polka Dot Wrapping Paper

DIY

Food break! Pardon me while I stop making appetizers, baking cookies and thinking about pie. Glitter is having its very deserved holiday moment in my world and I’d like to share.

This is actually a natural progression. You see, if you know me, you know that I’m passionate about three things: food, corgis and glitter. I’m a simple person, really.

Glitter has the ability to make anything look a tad-bit more exciting. In this particular scenario, glitter helps very boring and brown craft paper transform into super cute and fun (and inexpensive!) wrapping paper.

For this glitter adventure, you’ll need:

You can find all of these things at your local craft store, or you can order each of them online. Links for all of the items are at the bottom of this lil’ ol’ blog post.

1. To start, you want to cut a piece of craft paper that is size-appropriate to the present you’ll be wrapping it with.

Next, you want to fill the glue container’s cap with glue. Dip the spouncer in the glue and stamp your craft paper with it, being sure to space out the “polka dots” evenly.

I’d recommend stamping no more than 5-6 at a time, or else the glue will dry before you get a chance to top it with glitter. Just do it in batches!

2. Take your glitter, whichever color you like, in this case I used Martha Stewart’s Sterling, and top each glue polka dot with a liberal amount of glitter.

Also if you don’t like glitter (how dare you!), you can totally do this with solid color paint. I’m thinking neon pink polka dots with brown craft paper would look really cute.

3. You’ll want to allow the glitter/glue to dry before you gently take it and dump the excess glitter in the trash (or keep a tin of glitter reserve so you can reuse it).

We all LOVE before and after photos, right? Well, here ya go: dirty with lots of excess glitter on the left, and all cleaned up and ready to go on the right.

A couple of tips along the way:

1. The spouncers are reusable so make sure you wash off the glue post use. They’re good things to have around because seriously who knows when you might need a spouncer. Am I right?

2. After you dust off the excess glitter, little of glitter will still be all over. I took a dry and clean spouncer and just brushed away the glitter even more so. It totally worked.

And warning: If you do this DIY, you will walk around the rest of the day with little specks of glitter on your face. I urge you to embrace it. You look cute.

After the glitter/glue combination dried, I wrapped the present in the polka dot wrapping paper. Next, I tied a long piece of pom-pom yarn around it and smacked a name tag on it. You can do this too, or you can use any sort of ribbon/bow combination that you like.

Being crafty is fun! Tomorrow: cookies. Or soup. Or grilled cheese. TBD.

Resources:

1. Martha Stewart Glitter, Color: Sterling
2. Elmer’s Glue
3. Spouncers
4. Brown Craft Paper or Postal Wrapping Paper
5. Pom-Pom Yarn

• Reply Joelle (on a pink typewriter) December 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm

How can you go wrong with glitter? This is a great idea!

• Reply Amanda December 5, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I love it! I imagine you could find sponges shaped like trees or hearts or pumpkins and do this for all seasons and occasion!

• Reply NicoleD December 5, 2012 at 1:46 pm

There are people that don’t like glitter?!? This is the first time I’m seeing the word “spouncer” and now I want to sneak it into casual conversation. Love this!

• Reply Adrianna December 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Spouncer is my new favorite word. It’s fun to say!

• Reply Let Me Eat Cake December 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm

super cute! dying to know what the present it πŸ˜‰

• Reply Adrianna December 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Ha. It’s actually a box set of My-So-Called-Life. This was for demonstration purposes only! His present will come later. πŸ™‚

• Reply Afton December 5, 2012 at 1:09 pm

omg! ive been reading your blog for a couple years and cannot believe you are a corgi lover! we had 3 corgis growing up and one is still around πŸ™‚ they are seriously the best dogs ever! xo

• Reply Adrianna December 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

HA! That’s so awesome. I am a corgi enthusiast. My day starts – no lie – with looking at dedicated corgi accounts on Instagram. Perfect way to start my day!

• Reply Chloe Moon December 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

There are actually sponges like that in a circle?? I didn’t know that! I only see the black bristled ones. I gotta look deeper in my craft store! This is so cute!! I want to try it out!! =)

Ergo – Blog

• Reply Jennifer December 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

OUR NAILS MATCH! :O
    lol very cute! I shall bless every one with glitter on their hands from unwrapping this adorable paper! >:D

• Reply Lynna December 5, 2012 at 11:54 am

This is adorable! I love DIY!

• Reply Katie @ Blonde Ambition December 5, 2012 at 11:08 am

I am SO doing this this year. Except I have a ton of paper grocery bags stored away somewhere, and I think turning them inside out would be the perfect cheapo way to hit 2 birds with one stone (make gifts + get rid of bags!)

And I am totally with you in the loving glitter club. Also, I totally support a soup or grilled cheese recipe! Soup + grilled cheese is my go-to dinner these days. So perfect for winter!

• Reply Adrianna December 5, 2012 at 11:19 am

Oh you smart! Yes, that would totally work. Genius, you!

• Reply Kelli @ The Corner Kitchen December 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Genius! There’s finally a use for all those paper grocery bags!!

Love me some glitter!!

• Reply Michelle December 5, 2012 at 10:24 am

Glitter — the herpes of the art world! It’s the gift that keeps on giving!

• Reply Adrianna December 5, 2012 at 11:19 am

Insert: Horrified Emoji Face.

• Reply GIGI December 5, 2012 at 10:09 am

this is such a fantastic idea. was actually about to go get some wrapping paper from the 99 cents store. will be doing this instead for sure. pinning it on my pinterest diy board so I can follow these easy steps later. thanks!! xx. gigi. food and beauty blogger @ http://www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

• Reply First Night Design December 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

So simple and so pretty! I’ve pinned it: http://pinterest.com/pin/166070304981079992/

• Reply Coda December 5, 2012 at 10:01 am

I love it! Where did you get the tags?

• Reply Adrianna December 5, 2012 at 10:03 am

A few months ago in the sale section at Anthropologie!

• Reply Kasha the FarmGirl December 5, 2012 at 9:37 am

Fantastic idea…. and I would totally do it if I was giving gifts to girls. I have been told in no uncertain terms that, “boys don’t like glitter, Mom. *huff*” LOL

• Reply Adrianna December 5, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Nonsense. Also, my dude is getting a glitter polka dot present this year AND HE’S GONNA LIKE IT!

• Reply Channing December 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

Omg, I LOVE this post! I love glitter and would die of excitement if your next batch of cookies were covered in glitter too! πŸ˜€